Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 won't start

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pdg70

pdg70

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:07 AM

Hi all, new here so hopefully this is the correct forum.
My laptop started fine on thursday, I checked a few emails and pretty sure I logged off correctly but now it won't start. It will start in safe mode but not safe mode with networking. I've tried system restore, lkgc and start up repair in the recovery environment but whenever it restarts after trying these it just stays on the Starting windows screen with the windows logo pulsing slowly, half an hour so far. Do I need to be more patient or is half an hour long enough? My next attempt will be to fix the mbr but not sure how long I should give start up repair. Only other thing I have done is disable IAStorIcon on start up but this hasnt helped - could it have hindered?
Any further help greatly appreciated.
Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pdg70

pdg70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:41 AM

So I waited an hour and nothing happened. I then ran ccleaner in safe mode, then tried to fix the mbr using commands bootrec /fixmbr, bootrec /fixboot and bootrec /rebuildbcd but still the windows logo pulses slowly, laughing at my feeble attempts to fix it - f***er. There must be more I can do? Are there other options in ccleaner? I don't know how to use it beyond a basic scan.

#3 pdg70

pdg70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:13 AM

I ran start up repair one last time. It reported 1 root cause found on the device/harddisk0, AutoChk=0. The root cause says 'Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem', repair action :system restore although having restarted the logo is still pulsing (5 minutes and counting).
All other error codes on the report said 0×0 which I guess means none.
Just in case this sheds any more light. My uneducated guess is the hard drive is knackered but then why can I access my files in safe mode?

#4 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:21 AM

IMHO, it does sound like a hard disk problem. Starting in safe mode bypasses some software that might reside in bad sectors on the disk. In safe mode, run chkdsk c: /f from a command prompt, or double-click "My Computer", right-click on the C: drive hit Properties/Tools/Check Now. Check the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" box and hit start. This will read and correct (remap) any bad sectors. It will also take a long time (up to several hours).

#5 pdg70

pdg70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for the reply davnel. I did as you suggested and it ran for about half an hour then said problems had been found and fixed. I then restarted but still the same, it seems that the computer is doing something then just stops doing anything, all noise stops and hard drive indicator light goes out.
When I tried system restore it gave me a point when I last used the computer, the programme that rac just before this was pc registry mechanic which I have been ignoring for a while but uninstalled before rebooting just now.
Before I do another hard shut down, did you mean the restart will take several hours or would it have started as normal if fixed?

#6 pdg70

pdg70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:19 PM

Davnel - I am now able to start up in safe mode with networking (thanks for improving the situation) does this increase my options? Are there downloads I can run in safe mode that can diagnose and fix?

#7 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:42 PM

If you can save all of your data files to an external drive, do so. Collect all of the installation media for whatever programs you wish to run, including a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium, replace the hard disk and reinstall everything from scratch. Your main drive is failing and needs to be replaced. I don't think you will be able to simply clone that drive to a new one. You're missing some important files, so a total rebuild is in order. I usually reinstall everything on a yearly basis as a matter of routine. I find that whirlydisks seldom last more than a couple of years of constant use anyway.

#8 pdg70

pdg70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:01 PM

Thanks davnel, I've already saved my data files to another drive as I have fairly low trust levels in hard disk durability. What's the easiest way to collect all the installation media and where will I find it? Is it worth going for an ssd drive? I've got a lenovo g570 lap top. In the meantime can I do online banking in safe mode or will I not have full protection from avg2013?

#9 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:44 PM

Since I have no idea what you have installed on your system, I generally cannot advise you. Most computers come with either DVDs or separate partitions on the hard disk containing the files necessary to restore the machine to factory preset condition. In some cases, the files are in a separate, hidden, partition and can be used to burn recovery disks. You'll need to contact Lenovo to find out how. They may also have some suggestions on how to replace and rebuild the disk. I, personally, would replace the current disk with a much larger one - they're cheap. For a laptop, an SSD of sufficient size to be useful (512GB or larger) would be cost prohibitive. In a desktop setup you can use a small SSD (128 or 256GB) as a boot device, inexpensively.

Any software you have added, such as Microsoft Office or other applications will have to be reinstalled. You need the disks or installation files for those programs. If such programs came with the machine, then a factory restore will automatically install them. Factory restore will also load all necessary drivers.

The following is my own opinion and practice. My research has demonstrated that, if you are running a Microsoft Operating System, you DO NOT need a third-party antivirus program. Windows Security Essentials is available free for Windows 7 and IMHO is very good. Just download it from Microsoft and install it after the OS and Drivers are installed, and Windows has been activated. Microsoft also sends out a malware removal tool each month with the second-Tuesday updates. When you get to Windows 10 (free next month) You will need third-party antivirus even less. DO NOT install AVG, Semantec or anything else. Defender is free, and included in Windows 8 and 10.

Lenovo and many other companies preinstall AVG or Norton or Kaspersky, all of which are paid subscriptions (once the short trial has expired). My advice is to remove all such software. You only need Windows, MSE, and necessary applications. All of this other crap is just that...Crapware. One of the first things I end up doing to a new machine is remove all of the trials and junk software. Computer companies get paid to install that stuff in the hope that the customer will agree to a subscription after the trial ends. Besides, almost all third-party AV systems slow down the machine, sometimes significantly. Microsoft cheats and builds it into the OS. Also note that a factory restore will likewise reinstall all such software.

Finally, after 4 or more years, perhaps it's time to simply replace the machine. There's a lot of good bargains available. Look especially in the Refurbished section of Newegg or Amazon or Tiger Direct. IMHO, refurbs are perfectly good machines that have been through the initial 90-day "Infant Mortality" period, have been burned in and had all failed parts replaced. Generally they will last a very long time. The only problem is a lack of factory warranty - usually 90 days instead of a year or two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users