Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power outage during Windows Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mi_Maakim

Mi_Maakim

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 02:37 AM

While Windows was shutting down the computer, the power outage happened....

Precisely, when the screen shows "Shutting down" message....

After power outage was over, I power my computer on again but it didn't detect the improper shutdown....

My questions:

(1) What was Windows doing in that phase?

(2) Will my HDD become corrupt because improper shutdown had happened in that phase? Could NTFS handle this kind of situation?

Thanks before and forgive my English if there are some mistakes....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:43 AM

Does the system boot into Windows correctly?

If so...then run the chkdsk /r command.  Running the chkdsk /r command after any unexpected shutdown helps to overcome any potential problems which may relate to the improper shutdown.

Chkdsk From Command Prompt, Win 7 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496613/contextmenu-is-causing-explorerexe-to-crash/?p=3067880 .  There is no need to put the C: in that command, when run, the chkdsk /r runs on the Windows partition by default.

Louis

#3 Mi_Maakim

Mi_Maakim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:08 AM

Does the system boot into Windows correctly?

If so...then run the chkdsk /r command.  Running the chkdsk /r command after any unexpected shutdown helps to overcome any potential problems which may relate to the improper shutdown.

Chkdsk From Command Prompt, Win 7 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496613/contextmenu-is-causing-explorerexe-to-crash/?p=3067880 .  There is no need to put the C: in that command, when run, the chkdsk /r runs on the Windows partition by default.

Louis

Fortunate to me, I could login to Windows successfully....

I have done " chkdsk /f " and nothing in bad sectors and chkdsk just cleaned 104 unused index.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:12 AM

My questions:

(1) What was Windows doing in that phase?

(2) Will my HDD become corrupt because improper shutdown had happened in that phase? Could NTFS handle this kind of situation?

1.  At this stage Windows is closing any applications that are still open.

2.  Corruption does not affect the hdd, but Windows files can become corrupt it they are not closed properly at the shut down.  To see if there are any corrupt files you should run sfc /scannow from the command prompt.

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

command%20prompt%20w8_zpsxjmewau9.png

Type in sfc /scannow and then press Enter to start the scan.  Please notice the space between sfc and the /scannow.

If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.  Type in exit, then press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished please do the following.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png then copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to  
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

This log may be very large, if you have problems posting it try breaking it into smaller parts.  When you copy these parts you will highlight the section you are going to copy.  If you leave that section highlighted it will give you a quick reference for where you left off.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users