Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell e7440, Dock, Dual Display doesn't work, shows Intel WiDi

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Punkrulz

Punkrulz

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:09 PM

Good evening all,

To preface this, the company that I work for has many things that are incredibly locked down and I'm also new there, so I'm more so creating this post to see what would have been causing this issue. Unfortunately the user will be out all of next week and I won't be able to get my hands on the device again. I'm seeking information because I want to see if it comes up again as several people are having dual display issues with the Dell laptops.

The user has a Dell e7440 connected to a dock. At the time, two 24" dell displays were connected to the dock. One was DP to DP, the other was MiniDP to DP. The user reported that previously both screens worked, then had problems. Another colleague fixed it (he works part time and he didn't specify the fix) but then his computer went down to one display again.

When reviewing the setup, it appeared that his laptop was registering two devices. It seemed that it would work on the built in display as well as one of his external displays. I kept toying with the connections to see what worked and what didn't, and unfortunately it got to the point where only his laptop was displaying while on the dock.

The problem was that both the Intel software as well as Windows was reporting Intel WiDi as a second connection, even though anywhere I looked (Device manager, programs, add/remove programs, etc) I couldn't find anything about Intel WiDi. No options to disable, no customizable options. User reports he's never used screen mirroring before, and I'm new to that technology.

Ultimately we swapped his two DP cables for two DVI cables. Windows registered the new devices. Device manager registered three displays (two being the 24") and were using the Generic PnP driver. When we connected the DVI cables, the laptop reported that Display 1 and 4 were both his laptop screen, and 2 and 3 were the drivers. Fortunately through testing I was able to make sure that shutting down, reconnecting the dock, and using alone would function normally... but I'm curious what could have caused this. Built in display was listed as being the same as the WiDi as well.

Has anyone run into this situation before?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:09 PM

From Dell...http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN288845/EN

#3 Punkrulz

Punkrulz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:13 PM

I researched the heck out of this for days, and not a single dell article came up which specifically details what you listed. I'll make sure to pass this around to my coworkers.

Thank you so much for the reply!

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:07 PM

You're welcome! :)

Edited by hamluis, 26 June 2015 - 02:03 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users