Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu And System Temps Are High!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 pleasehelp!

pleasehelp!

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:54 AM

CPU idles between 45-55 Celsius (when others have reported that this CPU should run about 40 celsius on max load.

System temperature is also high at around ~40 Celsius.

The graphics card temperature is 42 Celsius.

These numbers are all at idle, I haven't put a load on this system yet.

Coolermaster Centurion case, coolermaster 550 watt PSU, pentium 4 3.6 ghz cedar mill, 7800gt, asus p5wd2 mobo, all stock cooling. Even with stock cooling people "report" significantly cooler temperatures.

None of the heatsinks feel hot to the touch. All fans are spinning.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 06:38 AM

Have you opened your case, and cleaned out the inside, lately?
If not, here's a tutorial that should help.
Cleaning the Interior of your PC
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Boyo

Boyo

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:02 PM

Are you getting the reported readings from your BIOS, or do you have temperature sensors placed inside your case? Sometimes mobo's reported temps aren't always spot on. I just use Asus Probe which reports my CPU at 45C HSF@1300 rpm's; mobo at 40C and my 7900GT at 50C. I have 4 120mm fans and even on load, these temps rarely change. I wouldn't sweat it.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ @2.64GHz|AC Freezer 64 Pro|Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe|Corsair 2GB PC3500LLPRO|eVGA 7900GT CO Superclocked|SB Audigy 2 ZS|Logitech MX1000|WD 74GB Raptor|WD 320GB Caviar SE16|WD 250GB Caviar RE16 eSATA Mobile |Lite-On DVD/CD with Lightscribe|Enermax Liberty 620W|Lian Li PC7 Plus II

#4 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 04:16 PM

how do you tell how hot your cpu is?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 29 July 2006 - 05:22 PM

CPU idles between 45-55 Celsius (when others have reported that this CPU should run about 40 celsius on max load.

System temperature is also high at around ~40 Celsius.

The graphics card temperature is 42 Celsius.

These numbers are all at idle, I haven't put a load on this system yet.

Coolermaster Centurion case, coolermaster 550 watt PSU, pentium 4 3.6 ghz cedar mill, 7800gt, asus p5wd2 mobo, all stock cooling. Even with stock cooling people "report" significantly cooler temperatures.

None of the heatsinks feel hot to the touch. All fans are spinning.

Are you sure that's celsius and not centigrade?

Download, install and run Everest Home:

Everest Home Edition (the successor of AIDA32) is a system information and benchmarking tool with full hardware & software information available as freeware for the individual user. It comes with a built-in hardware database and physical information for CPU, motherboard, hard disks, optical drives, chipset and much more. The information can be displayed on-screen, printed, or saved as a report in HTML or text format. The built in diagnostics module can help you find potential problems, by highlighting them in the report and also includes links to manufacturers web sites, driver updates and more. An easy to use report wizard allows you to create detailed reports in the format of your choice.

Get version 1.51 which is the last freeware version that includes the software module which lists all software installed on your computer and provides all the license key numbers – a great tool which has been deleted from all successive freeware versions.

Download here from the Utilities section:
http://www.oldversion.com

See what it says your temps are.

Edited by Enthusiast, 29 July 2006 - 05:24 PM.

#6 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 30 July 2006 - 06:31 PM

Surely a 3.6GHz CPU (Pentium especially) would run a fair bit hotter than 40C on max load!! Mine (3.0GHz P4) would crank out about 62C before I got a Thermalright SI-120 aftermarket cooler (which also has a Panaflo 120mm fan).
It may have something to do with ambient temps - the room my PC is in wasn't the coolest (temp wise) and I had 120mm intake, 120mm exhaust, stock cooler on CPU and VPU, and an 80mm over the CPU in the case side.
Now (with the newer cooler, and much better cable management to stop airflow problems) my CPU idles between 35~37C and maxes out around 52C (depending on the weather). Nothing over 55C anymore.
I don't have a temp gauge on the VPU, so I would only be guessing. However that used to go to the VPU recovery console (ATI cards) every five minutes. Only after investigation did I find it was overheating. Put on an ArcticCool a/m cooler, and now there are no problems.....
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:58 AM

Where are you getting your reported temps from "others"? It may be that they're just bragging and it may not be all that accurate.

My 3.0 gHz P4 runs at about 53 C - and that's with a SP-120 type cooler and cooler room air ducted straight onto it.

I'd say that you're at the normal range for that CPU - although the room temperature may be affecting the temps to some degree.

Also, have you considered another CPU cooler (and some Arctic Silver) to help with the CPU temps? If you're using the stock Intel unit - it's really not very effective if you're going to push the system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users