Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shutting down my laptop causes the router to reset.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Telemkam

Telemkam

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:00 PM

Okay this seems very odd, thankfully this is more of a minor annoyence than anything else.

And I'm not 100% sure which area to post this topic in, so I figure networking is my best bet.

I've got ATT Uverse, best service available in my area unfortunately.

I ran their old tower modem for over a year no problem till lightning storms occured and must have shorted the wired connections on them.

So tech support came out and replaced the modem

The modem they provided me with is the Pace 5031NV.

Initially the wireless connection had incredibly difficulty in connecting anything with the model. I eventually I opened the router setting and forced it to use channel 11 for it's wireless signal. That seemed to alleviate the modem reset everytime I wanted to connect anything to wireles.

It runs fine when connected, no real hiccups.

The only weird thing is that after shutting down my laptop, after being connected fine for like 8+ hours, the router will reset itself after a 10-20 seconds.Usually it boots back up no problm, but I've had to once reset the router entirely to get any other connection to work again before.

Putting my laptop in sleep mode doesn't seem to do this either.

As well, I mean by reset, all the modem's lights turn off for a bit, then it does the powerup sequence, where it gets the signal, etc etc.

Anybody ever heard of a thing like this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pepsiman

pepsiman

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:54 PM

I want to try something but I need to know something. What operation system do you use?

#3 Telemkam

Telemkam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:19 PM

Friggin love your name.

All the computers to my knowledge run on Windows 7 Home Premium.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:21 AM

Usually you want to download and run something like xirrus wifi inspector or insider to determine what channels are used in your area and then pic one not in conflict or with the least amount of overlap. 

The router sounds defective.  It should not reboot with a connection disconnect.

#5 pepsiman

pepsiman

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:50 PM

I decided that what I was going to try is not going to be effective. I would try Wands advice. How old is the router? Is it possible to get another one if needed?

#6 Telemkam

Telemkam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:12 AM

Router is brand new. The channel issue doesn't seem to be a problem.

May just call ATT, complain to them about their crappy router being defunct, and get it replaced.

Since it should not be resetting upon a computer disconnecting from the network.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 24 June 2015 - 09:14 PM

Could also be the power adapter, have they replaced that also?

As well, I mean by reset, all the modem's lights turn off for a bit, then it does the powerup sequence, where it gets the signal, etc etc

Tekken

#8 Telemkam

Telemkam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 10:26 PM

That I am unsure if they replaced or not. I, unfortunately, wasn't at my apartment for the process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users