Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

What is your favorite GNU/Linux distro?

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your favorite GNU/Linux Operating System (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Ubuntu Family

1. Ubuntu Desktop (5 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

2. Lubuntu (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

3. Xubuntu (1 votes [5.26%])

4. Ubuntu Gnome (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Ubuntu Mate (3 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

6. Kubuntu (1 votes [5.26%])

7. Ubuntu Server (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Voted Ubuntu Core (1 votes [5.26%])

9. none from this set (7 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

Various DEB distros

1. Debian (3 votes [15.79%])

2. ZorinOS (1 votes [5.26%])

3. Linux Mint Mate (3 votes [15.79%])

4. Linux Mint Cinnamon (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

5. Linux Mint Debian Edition (0 votes [0.00%])

6. ElementaryOS (0 votes [0.00%])

7. gNewSense (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Bohdi Linux (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Netrunner (1 votes [5.26%])

10. Voted none from this set (9 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

Various Distros

1. Arch Linux (3 votes [15.79%])

2. Slackware (1 votes [5.26%])

3. Kanotix (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Gentoo (2 votes [10.53%])

5. Sabayon (1 votes [5.26%])

6. GoboLinux (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Lunar Linux (0 votes [0.00%])

8. NixOS (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Ark Linux (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Voted none from this set (12 votes [63.16%])

Percentage of vote: 63.16%

Various RPM Distros

1. Red Hat Linux (1 votes [5.26%])

2. CentOS (1 votes [5.26%])

3. Fedora (4 votes [21.05%])

Percentage of vote: 21.05%

4. OpenSUSE (2 votes [10.53%])

5. SUSE Linux Enterprise (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Mandriva (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Mageia (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Qubes OS (0 votes [0.00%])

9. PCLinuxOS (2 votes [10.53%])

Frugal Distros

1. Debirf (0 votes [0.00%])

2. Slax (0 votes [0.00%])

3. TinyCore Linux (1 votes [5.26%])

4. Porteus (1 votes [5.26%])

5. SliTaz (0 votes [0.00%])

6. Parted Magic (1 votes [5.26%])

7. Damn Small Linux (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Puppy Linux (6 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

9. Quirky (Pupplet) (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Voted none from this set (10 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

Various Distros

1. Tails (1 votes [5.26%])

2. Ubuntu Studio (2 votes [10.53%])

3. Peppermint OS (1 votes [5.26%])

4. Manjaro (2 votes [10.53%])

5. Gparted (3 votes [15.79%])

6. Deepin (1 votes [5.26%])

7. ArchBang Linux (0 votes [0.00%])

8. Antix (0 votes [0.00%])

9. Trisquel (0 votes [0.00%])

Various Distros

1. Knoppix (4 votes [23.53%])

Percentage of vote: 23.53%

2. Voted none from this set (13 votes [76.47%])

Percentage of vote: 76.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:40 PM

Vote in the poll for your favorite distro. Don't see it listed? You can always vote in your reply to this thread.

EDIT: When I originally posted this I forgot that there was a limit to the number of options per question. I split the choices across multiple questions to get around that, but forgot this would mean you'd have to choose 1 selection from each question. I've edited the question now so that each question has a "none from this set" option. Please vote for only 1 distro and for the rest choose none from this section. Apologies to those whom have already voted. I cannot reset the poll.

Edited by hollowface, 21 June 2015 - 03:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 08:21 PM

Some of those distros I have never heard of- and thought i had tried them all ,but was able to pick one in each category that I HAVE tried.I was surprised to see Zorin more popular that Mint Mate-!

#3 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:39 AM

At the moment, I think a small, newer system Chalet is my favorite.  It is based on Ubuntu, as is Zorin , mint and a lot of others.  I've tried more than 50  32 bit distros, and I think 5 64 bit uefi distros.  The keying them gives me a bit of a problem, and most of them don't come with their own keys.  I think I messed up, when I tried to vote for Zorin, mintgot the vote, but I like it too.  

#4 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:05 AM

Ive just had to give a votes for a distro i really detest  in the Ubuntu  section... ha ha.... i could vote for a lot of distros in the other sections before i would ever vote for Ubuntu ..

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,854 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:50 PM

Ubuntu..... One distro to rule them all.

Some of those distros I have never heard of- and thought i had tried them all

Not even close. There are 100's out there still.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:45 AM

They have left me out MKDE17.1.  How could they leave the most popular Mint distro out! lol.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:17 AM

They have left me out MKDE17.1.  How could they leave the most popular Mint distro out! lol.

Maybe most popular to you, but not according to Mint's user base, Cinnamon is the most popular Linux Mint distro at this time, having being named as a drop in replacement for Windows 7, and the demands on graphics cards are higher with each release. 17.2 is around the corner for both Cinnamon & MATE, as the RC's for each are online. 

Here's just one article that supports Cinnamon's rising popularity by one whom knows Linux. Most whom wants KDE goes with Kubuntu. Cinnamon, on the other hand, along with MATE, were developed in-house by the devs at Linux Mint, though Ubuntu now has an official MATE version & Cinnamon can be added also. Am not sure whom holds the rights to KDE & XFCE for distribution to major forks of Linux, though these releases comes in sometimes as long as over a month after Cinnamon & MATE. The Debian version is a rolling release, never needing reinstall unless the OS is broken. 

http://www.zdnet.com/article/mint-17-the-best-linux-desktop-to-date/

In fact not only on this forum, others also, XFCE is ran & mentioned a lot more than KDE, because of it's compatibility with older systems & being lightweight on weaker 64 bit Windows 7 computers. Many of the low spec AMD series, along with the Intel Celeron/Pentium series (both needs to be gracefully retired). Price & performance wise, there's no need for Intel to produce any mainstream CPU of less than the i3, which is like just $20-30 more than the Celeron/Pentium series & delivers a lot more performance. 

Anyway, that's what has made the XFCE version of not only Linux Mint, yet Xubuntu & others also, popular. Runs fantastic on newer hardware that's underpowered, and fairly decent on older hardware as well. Blows Windows 7 out of the water on many 2009-2012 model computers that has anything less than the Intel i3 or AMD's equivalent. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 22 June 2015 - 03:45 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:03 AM

i upgraded to Linux Mint 17.2 Raphaela and have noticed 2 problems- it drops wi-fi connection after awhile- which requires a reboot in my case- and unless i do a hard reboot- my system will not reboot on a soft reboot- so I am not sure what is going on there-? before the upgrade i had linux mint 7.1 Mate version- I know Cinnamon is the most popular- but i have never been one for popularity contests- I like MATE over the other distros. Just my own personal preference!Paul

Edited by paul88ks, 22 June 2015 - 04:06 AM.

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,445 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:35 PM

I have tried pretty much all of the major Linux Distros, and various other smaller ones. I kept going back to Ubuntu though... I ran Fedora for a while (but absolutely couldn't stand yum, haven't tried the new package manager in Fedora 22 yet though)... then went back to Ubuntu. Those are the two I have the most time in. Ubuntu seems to run the best on my Lenovo, and it hasn't mattered what I run on my desktop. Currently I am running Ubuntu 14.04 on the laptop, and about to install 15.04 on the desktop. I also run a 14.04 Ubuntu server.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#10 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:09 PM

Can't believe I forgot that one.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,350 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:24 PM

Haha, I was wondering if you did that, shame on you lol, just kidding.  I'm surprised more don't run this awesome distro, especially if they like the Mint flavor.  Mate was fine for me for a while, but then got bland and boring.  I like a little fun in the equation, and a little eye candy don't hurt either.  Really just a simple thing like the Lancelot Menu makes it worth it, I don't like digging around for stuff as I can't remember where it all is.  The menu's are not all that intuitive, and windows might be better in this aspect.  What I don't understand is why Mate, and I think, Cinnamon don't have expandable Menu's.  Perhaps they can be installed easily and if not I'm sure it could be done the hard way, but that's not for me as you know lol.

I just tried the MX-14, and even it has an expandable Menu by default, so does MintXfce, and perhaps other Xfce's I don't know.  MX-14 also has a Persistence mode etc. but I need to read up more before commenting, and, try it out.  Will report back. 

Also tried KubuntuKDE but need to look into the differences before installing it on any of my old pc's.  Need to try out Manjaro also as one of our members here seems to like it well, and, I like the dark desktop look.  But for now it don't get better than KDE for me!

@cat1092, you know KDE is the best lol, just kidding.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:41 AM

@cat1092, you know KDE is the best lol, just kidding.

pcpunk, you know me well enough by now to call me Cat.  :)   The @1092 is there because forums requires something, and Cat is just too common of a name to use on any forum......it's been taken by someone else. 

As far as Mint & KDE goes, well for the first version (LM 1.0), it was based on KDE alone & GNOME followed, then XFCE, no MATE nor Cinnamon existed then, and it was later (LM 8 before the Debian (LXDE) version were created. So Mint has a very long history with KDE, beginning with their first version, based on Kubuntu (second link below).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_Mint_releases

Later on however, they had to break away from KDE alone, or take a nose dive into the ground. They had to bring in more DE's & today, Cinnamon & MATE carries the load. Above link is more on the lifecycle history of Linux Mint, and it wasn't until LM 12 that MATE (GNOME 2) & LM 13 that Cinnamon came into the picture. Cinnamon as a new DE for 13 LTS, MATE as keeping GNOME 2 alive, which was pleasing to Ubuntu users who were ticked at Canonical over the Unity release. Much like the way many who bought brand new Windows 8 computers & already had a OEM or Full version Windows 7 OS to downgrade to (many considers Windows 7 as an upgrade to Windows 8/8.1 to this day), and it's was the same way with Linux MInt MATE, the GNOME 2 project is very much alive & kicking stronger than ever with users from all over the world. 

For those considering the Linux Mint 17.2 OS's that's pre-release, please keep in mind (& the sites says so) that this is pre-release software and not all functions will work as intended, like that of a stable OS. It's still a project in the works, and therefore cannot be considered a 'distro' yet, because it's not one. No more so than the Windows 10 Insider Pro/Home Previews are. July 29, 2015 is the release date for Win 10, however that can change should a major bug be found. Linux Mint has not issued a formal announcement of 'when' 17.2 will be released for the Cinnamon & MATE editions (& they normally don't give lots of advance notice), furthermore, KDE & XFCE will come later, as always. Am not sure whom hold the keys to these DE's, only that with Linux Mint (& maybe Ubuntu & others also) releases their versions later than their mainstream versions. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 23 June 2015 - 12:46 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 TOMIS13LACK

TOMIS13LACK

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 04:45 PM

gotta add kali linux XD

ooh, i have a signature

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 02:33 AM

I voted "none from this set" for all. I am still in search of my favourite Linux, and that is likely to continue for a long time, given the wealth of choices available.

My comments are listed as follows:

• TimNet (not readily available, YET) is my sentimental favourite, as it is my hybrid lovechild, created in a stormy union between Ubuntu 14 and Zorin 9 - still stable after 9 months of updates
  • LMM 17 Qiana is my choice for daily use
  • I really like Zorin OS9, and Peach (especially Peach BB for frugal)
  • Bluestar Linux 3.18.5, with the Enlightenment desktop is very interesting

BTW Nick -

Ubuntu..... One distro to rule them all.

...you DO know the Ring was evil, don't you

:wizardball: Wiz

another BTW - kudos to hollowface :bowdown:  - good topic!

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 01:43 AM

I voted "none from this set" for all. I am still in search of my favourite Linux, and that is likely to continue for a long time, given the wealth of choices available.

Wiz, while I know that it's took some a few weeks or months to find a 'go to' distro, you may be on the way of creating a record. 

Most of us finds our favorite Linux OS in much less time than you, much of the reason why it took me 3-4 months was because most 'dedicated' Linux forums cold shouldered me because I was dual booting with XP at the time (early 2009) & refused to give it up until at least I was settled. Having blown away your Windows OS, you'd have been welcomed with open arms on any Linux forum for guidance, though we do appreciate you sticking with us, rather than being a floater between forums. :)

Being that Linux Mint MATE is your daily driver, you can't call that your favorite? Especially if you're booting into it w/out a thought, rather on instinct. 

On the other hand, if you're having to decide before every boot, then you don't have a clear favorite. I can understand & appreciate why you're wanting to be careful with TimNet, at the same time, see how it could have happened. A Timeshift backup of two computers in the same folder, if the cleanup wasn't good, could result in this, though it may take years for one to duplicate the same. I once thought of trying this between Mint 17 & Ubuntu 14.04 & check out the result, just got too tied up & never gave it another thought. 

Peach OSI could be a great OS, if it weren't for the poor support on the distro level, the creator has left it up to the Linux community to answer questions on various forums. Though I have to admit, would never had known it was an XFCE distro had there not been a couple of telling signs, the distro is loaded with software, likely more than any of Zorin's offerings, even their paid versions, has. It would seem that if one took the time to create a distro, to have their own active community, and not have to wait two days to become a registered member, and furthermore, censoring every post before allowing it to be posted. For these reasons, I cannot recommend Peach to anyone. I mean, what does it cost to have a community, of all volunteers, even most all the staff (admins, mods & so on), when the server is already in place? 

Since Bluestar Linux is an Arch based distro, I'm not qualified to comment, other than the learning curve is steeper than any Ubuntu based one. I found the same to be true of CentOS, which is RedHat's development OS, lots of great software is included that doesn't make the final cut to include in the next RedHat version. Still, one can use the software, and the main reason why I was swayed off course with CentOS was that I, along with others, was invited to be a moderator of a Windows 8 forum, a decision that I wished I could take back a thousand times or more. 

Basically speaking, if one knows CentOS, the same knows RedHat, which is used by lots of accounters, including tax preparers. Knowing this OS & how to fix things can lead to good things. Though many Linux IT Pros has a formal education, some doesn't, like you, I & many others running Linux, grads of the University of Hard Knocks. Which in the real world is good, those things are not taught, dealing with folks of different diversities (which I have lots of experience with), social status & so on. What they care the most about is you getting their computer (or server) going again & being able to communicate in terms they understand. 

I would love to return to CentOS, just don't have it in me to go through the first few months all over, a lot has changed since 2012. By now, it would have been my 'go to' OS, had I not left it. 

Sometimes it's hard to decide, but I believe deep down that you have a favorite of your installed OS's. You just have to make that decision. :)

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users