Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update shock!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:41 PM

I had to reload my mini laptop after doing a friend a favor all went sweet, even tried out decrapifier what a great tool.  Assassinated McAfee AV loaded my favored stuff, was a happy camper until Win updates started rolling in.  The Mini has Win 7 Starter and is several years old so I expected quite a few updates, they seems to have pretty much ended last night after the usual raft of restarts.  No such luck I turned it on this AM all seemed Ok, well it went to sleep while I was doing the lawn.  I wiggled the mouse and got a shocker it was in the process of loading 192 updates,  wouldn't be great it you could just buy a CD with the updates! 

Edited by hamluis, 20 June 2015 - 07:29 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:30 PM

A CD would never be current...and you can install all Win 7 updates in less than the time it would take to receive the outdated CD/DVD :).

Louis

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:41 PM

Granted but would give a leg up on the the time it takes.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:18 PM

More shock just started up and it shows another 163 updates, makes on wonder what the final total is!  I think the next time I will turn off auto and take my chances with what ever security stuff I have.  The mini is only used as a time killer when at doctors offices or to check my mail when out of the country, I run no extra software at all.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:51 AM

The continuing saga!  Went to bed while it was still  loading its second batch of 163 updates after 193 previous load, woke up to the machine being shut down.  Thinking to myself finally it is done, hit the power button it started with a screen " Failure to configure reverting changes, this is getting ridiculous.  I have loaded quite a few machines since Win2.0 never ever have I seen this nonsense!

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,117 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:29 AM

I just rebooted the little bugger it is running great like it has not for a long time, I turned off updates for the time being.  Will think about turning them on again do not want to go through this again, doing the recovery was straight forward and fairly fast.  Has me thinking leave it as is so as not to repeat the scenario, 400 +or- updates is ridiculous!  I would repeat the recovery without updates in a heart beat

Louis I still say it would be nice to have a CD with a bunch of the updates on it current or not, I would be one of the first to buy one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users