Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet explorer wont stop in background : Windows 7, 64 bit, Dell laptop, Goog

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 monticello

monticello

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:31 PM

Internet Explorer continues running in background altho it is not chosen browser - using Windows 7 Google browser, 64 bit, Dell laptop

Thanks as always -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:34 PM

One instance of IE runs constantly...as long as Windows is being used.

When the browser is actually used, there will be two instances or more of IE reflected in Task Manager, with 1 additional process for each IE windows opened.

Louis

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:40 PM

When you say you are using the 'Google browser' do you mean you are using 'Chrome' as your default browser or is 'Google' your home page, ie the page your default browser opens at ?

If you are using Chrome, then IE shouldn't be running and there should be no processes or services running for it when you look at Task Manager. My default browser is Firefox - which I am using at the moment - and I have no IE processes running.

If you mean 'Google' is your home page, then you would expect IE to be running if that is your default browser.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 monticello

monticello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:43 AM

Thank you gentlemen - I use Chrome.  I just recently notice IE being the last to close if I do a force shutdown - that was why I

asked.  It isn't a problem, just a new sighting.

Happy Fathers Day!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:31 AM

By "force shutdown", do you mean that you are using the power button to shut down this computer?

If you are, you should not do this as any files which haven't been properly closed could be corrupted.  If you have been doing this on a regular basis I would suggest running sfc /scannow from the command prompt.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 monticello

monticello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 05:09 PM

Just got back here to say thank you for your wisdom and guidance - understand more and a better way to protect my files.  Appreciate your

responses!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users