Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Logitech HD Pro C920 Webcam not recognized

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Luke_James

Luke_James

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:11 PM

My webcam will not work. I plug it in, and it works for no longer than five minutes before I get "USB Device not recognized..." or something. The webcam works fine prior to this happening. I have installed, uninstalled, re-installed and ran round in circles with the firmware and I have connected the webcam to 3 different USB ports and rebooted three times, it just won't work. 

I only have the webcam and a USB mouse connected to the USB ports. This makes no sense, and I can find no answers or solutions ANYWHERE. I'm not even going to bother registering and posting on the Logitech forums, just to have some half-wit copy and paste something from their knowledgebase. 

Please can anybody help? It works fine on my other laptop.

Not sure if it's worth mentioning that my computer goes crazy with the USB disconnected/connected noise whenever I physically move the webcam. It does this with the mouse when I sometimes accidentally tap the cable.

Using a Lenovo G700 laptop with Windows 8

Edited by Luke_James, 20 June 2015 - 02:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:49 PM

Hello, and Welcome

I think your USB ports may be going bad or else they are not tight enough for the Webcam especially if you are having the USB disconnected/connected noise with the Webcam and mouse. See this video. Be very careful and remove any battery or power adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds and ground yourself on any bare metal of the computer.

#3 Luke_James

Luke_James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 03:20 PM

Hello, and Welcome

I think your USB ports may be going bad or else they are not tight enough for the Webcam especially if you are having the USB disconnected/connected noise with the Webcam and mouse. See this video. Be very careful and remove any battery or power adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds and ground yourself on any bare metal of the computer.

I'm not sure why this would mean the camera will work for a few minutes, then suddenly stop. It also tries installing drivers, even though they're already installed. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 03:34 PM

Try disabling USB selective suspend and see if that helps. This is for Windows 7 but it should be valid for 8

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Maybe it is just some slight movement that causes it. Do you get the disconnect sound when moving the cable of the Webcam? Is it possible to switch out the cable from the Webcam for another?

Download USBdeview. Run it and delete all vendor specific devices that are listed as safe to uninstall except your keyboard or mouse. Also any network adapters or printers. Then reboot and attach the Webcam. Some other drivers may be conflicting with the Webcam drivers but I think what you have is a hardware issue.

If you have an powered USB hub try using it and see if your problem goes away.

#5 Luke_James

Luke_James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:11 PM

Try disabling USB selective suspend and see if that helps. This is for Windows 7 but it should be valid for 8

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/147369-usb-selective-suspend-turn-off.html

Maybe it is just some slight movement that causes it. Do you get the disconnect sound when moving the cable of the Webcam? Is it possible to switch out the cable from the Webcam for another?

Download USBdeview. Run it and delete all vendor specific devices that are listed as safe to uninstall except your keyboard or mouse. Also any network adapters or printers. Then reboot and attach the Webcam. Some other drivers may be conflicting with the Webcam drivers but I think what you have is a hardware issue.

If you have an powered USB hub try using it and see if your problem goes away.

Whenever I plug the camera in I just get the "USB device not recognized" error now, but it makes no sense... when I don't get this message, the webcam works and then freezes after a few minutes, the disconnect sound plays and it either says not recognized or nothing at all.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,438 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:37 PM

Did you disable USB selective suspend? Do you delete the Vendor Specific Devices using USBdeview? Does the Webcam have a separate USB cable you can replace?

From your post "Not sure if it's worth mentioning that my computer goes crazy with the USB disconnected/connected noise whenever I physically move the webcam" This tells me there is a bad connection between the Webcam and the computer. Plus you stated that this problem has only occurred recently. Did you try to tighten the USB port for a better connection as shown in the video? I did a Google search and there were some people that lost there USB ports on the G700. 

Go here and download the diagnostic tool to check the motherboard.

It's possible it could be a Windows issue but I would not know where to start. On the computer that the WebCam worked what OS was it, Windows 7?

Has this computer been upgraded to Windows 8.1?

#7 Luke_James

Luke_James
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:39 AM

Did you disable USB selective suspend? Do you delete the Vendor Specific Devices using USBdeview? Does the Webcam have a separate USB cable you can replace?

From your post "Not sure if it's worth mentioning that my computer goes crazy with the USB disconnected/connected noise whenever I physically move the webcam" This tells me there is a bad connection between the Webcam and the computer. Plus you stated that this problem has only occurred recently. Did you try to tighten the USB port for a better connection as shown in the video? I did a Google search and there were some people that lost there USB ports on the G700. 

Go here and download the diagnostic tool to check the motherboard.

It's possible it could be a Windows issue but I would not know where to start. On the computer that the WebCam worked what OS was it, Windows 7?

Has this computer been upgraded to Windows 8.1?

I did selective suspend and deleted the devices, the USB cable is integrated. It's a brand new camera, though. I haven't tried tightening the USB ports yet, I will try that in a little while. It worked on Windows Vista. I've not upgraded to 8.1

#8 LetsGetStartedUtube

LetsGetStartedUtube

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:06 AM

Hello, and Welcome

That's my video LOL!!! Thanks for sharing it!!!

Edited by LetsGetStartedUtube, 07 January 2016 - 12:07 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users