Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

strange thing on the "start page" since...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 circe801

circe801

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:57 PM

okay.  i admit i jumped the gun here.  i used to use puran utilities on my last computer, and dl'd it and set the defrag to run at next startup--before making sure it was compatible with 8.1--which it isn't--i found out the hard way.  set it to run at next startup and things went south from there.  apparently, this created a problem in windows that caused it to do a scan/repair, which would not go past 10%--for hours.  i finally did a forced shutdown and when i started it again, there was something strange on my 'start' page---directy above the first tile, under the word 'start', these characters:

?><CXZzxc

does anyone have any idea what this might be and how to get rid of it??

i did fix the other problem, but this remains to remind me.  before you ask, virus/malware scans come back clean.

thanks in advance, guys.  hope someone has an idea--you always do.

circe801

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:02 PM

Looks like some coded screen name....if you do a search you will see some screen names similar to that like....cXzzXc

Other than than, what happens when you click on it or right click on it....anything?

Edited by buddy215, 20 June 2015 - 02:04 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 circe801

circe801
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:15 AM

wow.  thanks, buddy215.  hadn't even thought of that--that right-click brought up 'name groups' and i deleted it.  sweet.  i never really think about any clicks on something that is not designated...

#4 circe801

circe801
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:17 AM

haha--i DID do a search on it and all that came up 'exactly' alike was my post...

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:38 AM

That was too easy...you're welcome....happy surfin'

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users