Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Boot, can't get it to work...

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 satch4684

satch4684

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:35 AM

Ok, first off this is an old nw8440. Not much but all I've got right now, and this thing has been extremely reliable for me so far. Anyway I will explain that I had put a new harddrive in it and a copy of Win7 that had been collecting dust since I'd gotten rid of a newegg custom build a while back. 

Reading into it, its supposed to work mostly fine but really nw8440 doesn't support Win7 and I've had a couple minor issues, so I want a dual boot with XP on it too. So yesterday I proceeded to start installing XP on the 2nd partition, the D drive. This is actually the original installation cd that came with the computer. 

As you know, after doing the basic stuff, it is supposed to then boot you into Windows XP and finish the installlation. Well I guess it was stuck, I got the "could not read from selected boot disk" error. I tried messing with the repair option a few times, to get the bootcfg working, but nothing, the computer wouldn't run. So I gave up there and popped the Win7 cd in to do the quick repair, and now I'm able to start the computer again. There's some files there in the D drive from the attempted XP install. 

So, how can I get XP working now? I think I might be getting closer, I've used EasyBCD 2.2 to add Windows XP from the list, and on restart it gives me a choice. Choosing XP just gives me an error, but I've noticed the path is all wrong, it tells me:
For Win7:\Windows\system32\winload.exe

For XP:    \NST\easyldr1

There's no winload file in the XP directory, but I'm hoping I can point into to something there, and it should load up, I will have the installation cd in, and it will finish the install like normal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:11 AM

I suggest reading the entire instructions provided at Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP - Windows 7 Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html .   Then, follow the instructions for Option Two. 

Once both installs are complete...you can use EasyBCD to correct the boot files.

The XP boot files are inferior to the Win 7 boot files...in effect, the XP boot files are worthless when dual-booting with a Win 7 install.  The Win 7 bootloader takes over and fooling around with the XP boot files will break any dual-boot that may have existed before which involves XP and Win 7.

Louis

#3 satch4684

satch4684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:01 PM

Okay wow, overwhelming let me read into this....why there were a few things I ran across that simply told me to "install XP on partition and boom your done" is beyond me. VirtualBox is looking better, I had that going but I figured it probably isn't a good idea unless I had a better PC.

Thanks for the links, I have a question about the second one, it just brings me to the SevenForums main page, is it supposed to link to another tutorial?

#4 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:31 PM

Hamluis link is correct, but not working for me either. Maybe direct link is disallowed.

Go here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/257-windows-7-tutorial-index-2.html?s=886c7a5af15071edb90005ed19d46f67

Move down the list to find "Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP". I must admit, It's usually a breeze to do.

#5 satch4684

satch4684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:39 PM

Alright after reading through, turns out all of t

Hamluis link is correct, but not working for me either. Maybe direct link is disallowed.

Go here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/257-windows-7-tutorial-index-2.html?s=886c7a5af15071edb90005ed19d46f67

Move down the list to find "Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP". I must admit, It's usually a breeze to do.

Ok I get it, just link to the first tutorial I see, and after reading it more thoroughly, I see what you mean it is fairly simple and, in fact, these are the exact steps I took and have gone through successfully, although WinXP will still not boot for me, even though I can choose it.

Probably because the one step I skipped, I guess, the RAID or SATA drivers, idk this whole thing confuses me. well let me start somewhere, is it safe to say at the link I have to my computers drivers: 

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=1839208&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=1093

In the dropdown section "Operating System-Enhancments and QFEs" the Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver is the one I need?

Edited by satch4684, 20 June 2015 - 01:57 PM.

#6 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:03 PM

Yes. The SATA driver will be a floppy for XP.

Do away with the floppy requirement: http://www.proposedsolution.com/howto/create-windows-xp-cd-sata-drivers/

Edited by Mike.Tech, 20 June 2015 - 02:05 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:22 PM

Sorry for the confusion...but what looks like a second link is really part of the first :), it take you to the main windows because the first part was not clicked on.  The same thing happens to me many times here at BC...when I click on the forum part of a given topic, instead of clicking on the topic part :).

Louis

#8 satch4684

satch4684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:01 PM

no problem, took me a few minutes but I worked it out and realized what had happened there. 

Also, I understand now that the whole process is the same, and simpler than I realized. You are just using the F6 step to add drivers, or making a new XP cd that has them. Ok I am going to give it a try now!

#9 satch4684

satch4684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:15 PM

:smash:    already can't figure this out 

First off, I want to make sure I am right in using that Sata driver, because I noticed something when booting from XP cd to test out before going ahead with this whole process. When the XP cd is loading drivers or whatever its doing before you can begin setup, it mentions Raid a lot. I don't know I'm confused but I thought raid is only for multiple hard drives....

Second, I ignored that for a moment and went ahead with N-lite to setup my custom XP installation cd with the sata driver.. Well you are supposed to have a driver folder with the INF file, where am I supposed to get that? The driver is just a normal installation file, and running it gives me an exe file that wants to write to a floppy drive.

Edited by satch4684, 20 June 2015 - 06:21 PM.

#10 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:30 PM

You may be able to extract the driver file using 7-zip, WinRar etc. Inf will be within.

#11 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:35 PM

7-Zip will extract the file to 'F6flpy32.exe'. I extracted to the desktop. Then open F6flpy32 with 7-zip to give you 'temp.IMA'. IMA means it's a disk image. Open that with 7-zip and extract to a folder. This folder contains your inf files.

Edited by Mike.Tech, 20 June 2015 - 06:36 PM.

#12 satch4684

satch4684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:07 PM

Cool thanks that did it, I managed to get the IMA out with winzip before and that was it.  Am I supposed to just add the INF as PNP Driver? The default option is textmode driver, and then there's a list of text mode integration options....

okay the picture in tutorial looks easy, the guy just chooses the integration option for XP out of three, I have eight different choices and none of them say anything about an OS

Edited by satch4684, 20 June 2015 - 07:14 PM.

#13 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:12 PM

Text mode, and select all the types in the list

Edited by Mike.Tech, 20 June 2015 - 07:13 PM.

#14 satch4684

satch4684
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:39 PM

alright then, freakin thing crashed on me, maybe cause I wasn't running as admin, but i started again and now I'm burning. So hopefully everything works!

didn't think i had it anymore found a  usb floppy drive, but they say you cant use those so this method has to work... 

#15 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:47 PM

Have a USB floppy myself. They're a must have. Odd that it won't work when the device is actively recognised by the BIOS and you can boot from It. I would have expected it to work. Saying that, your modded disk should cover pretty much all events now, and be more convenient.

I remember when I had IDE setup and wanted to use a SATA drive. I forced the SATA driver as the IDE in Windows and it actually worked! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users