Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice for new business computer - 2K budget

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 davidgc100

davidgc100

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:25 AM

Hi there! I am looking for some advice to buy a laptop. I have been granted a budget of up to 2000 Euros/(2300$) (its ok if I go a little over) to buy whatever laptop I want. The official purpose of the laptop is for work related stuff such as word, email and video editing (to edit training tutorials). Everyone tells me to go with the Macs, but I am a Windows guy. I dont play much computer games however when I do I usually play AOE type games however I doubt I will be using it for that.  

At work I will be conecting my laptop to a monitor. I take my laptop to work everyday. I like laptops that are light and have a great design. I have been looking at the Dell XPS i7 8GB Memory however some reviews are not that good considering the intel graphics card.

Any advice is deeply appreciated. Thank you all!!!!

David

Edited by davidgc100, 20 June 2015 - 10:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_IWant2Help_*

Guest_IWant2Help_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:40 AM

Don't buy a macbook for video editing. The cpu's might be fine but the lack of available cooling in laptops in general make them thermal throttle

More info about that can be found here:

Ill make a list of laptops that will be perfect for your task.

Edited by IWant2Help, 20 June 2015 - 10:41 AM.

#3 davidgc100

davidgc100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:03 AM

Don't buy a macbook for video editing. The cpu's might be fine but the lack of available cooling in laptops in general make them thermal throttle

More info about that can be found here:

Ill make a list of laptops that will be perfect for your task.

Thank you so much!!!!

#4 Guest_IWant2Help_*

Guest_IWant2Help_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:45 AM

Razer Blade 14 (many versions but seek out the version from 2015)

Many gaming laptops work well as workstations to as they have high specs and don't suffer from thermal throttling.

Gigabyte P-series

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/main.aspx?s=46#1%3B400%2C401%40401%40401%2C403%40403%7C1%2C3%404%405%2C1%402

Asus G-Series

https://www.asus.com/se/notebooks_ultrabooks/

MSI mobile workstations series

http://us.msi.com/product/workstation/

MSI gaming series

http://us.msi.com/product/nb/#?category=17%22%20Series

NOTE: You don't need a top tier GPU but the CPU in these laptops should at least be a i7 and have at least 8GB of RAM. If it doesn't fit these requirements don't buy it. I didn't take the time to slim out the options more as i got stuff to do but i trust your capabilities in following the requirements i gave above.

Good luck :)

#5 davidgc100

davidgc100
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:53 AM

Awesome, thanks a lot! It makes sense that the gaming latops are the best. 

Thank you!!!!

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,476 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:11 PM

For work I recommend a business class machine, either Dell's Precision line or HP's EliteBook line

#7 Guest_IWant2Help_*

Guest_IWant2Help_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:25 PM

For work I recommend a business class machine, either Dell's Precision line or HP's EliteBook line

My HP Elitebook gets really loud of just watching movies...headset required

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

I would go for either an MSI or an ASUS machine the Asus' line has much better cooling design.  You can go to a site like xoticpc.com and pick and choose some components.  Or Amazon has good prices for their base systems.  You will want at least 2 TB hard drive and an SSD is nice if you can afford it.  8GB minimum for video editing and an I7 of almost any speed is fine. If you can't decide on a model choice in particular feel free to post a link to them and we can critique them for you.  Good luck on your decision. ~ Yeah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users