Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First ever smartphone - Samsung Galaxy Mini GT-S5570 - 9 jealous/upset fingers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Plonie

Plonie

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:04 AM

I never really wanted a smartphone but now someone has given me their old one and I have been dragged into the modern world (not quite kicking and screaming, but almost).

I can totally see that it is a wonderful invention but mainly for people who have no laptop/pc. But this is my personal opinion. Why type with 1 finger when you have 10 at your disposal? Or 2 thumbs as the young folk seem to do? One of my nieces immediately started a family group whatsapp thingy and I think it is great but my input consists of short replies. It would be nice to persevere as all my relatives live in a different country. My smallest niece informed me at 13 that her peer group found Facebook too childish  :rolleyes: so my FB messages to her are left unanswered for weeks at a time. 

Because I find it all quite fiddly I thought "wouldn't it be wonderful if I can do all the things the smartphone can do on my pc or laptop when I am at home and then only use the smartphone itself when I am not at home". So I started googling and it does seem possible. With Bluestacks for instance - would that be correct? 

Although I love my pc more than my laptop, it probably would be best to use the laptop as it doesn't contain important stuff.

I am appealing to you good people to tell me if it can be achieved:

- What can I install on my laptop so it can do what the smartphone can do?
- Will it then be possible to sync everything? I.e. will a whatsapp discussion continue on each device? Can I download apps on my pc which will then also appear on the phone?

If my wish could come true, can you also supply a safe link/safe links please? I never know who to trust...

Hopefully someone can help me with this..... thanks....

Edit: Moved topic from Cell Phones to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:41 PM

- What can I install on my laptop so it can do what the smartphone can do?

https://www.airdroid.com/index.html

Take a look there and let us know if you have more questions. Oh yeah and a youtube video is here:

On the right side of the youtube page is the other 9 youtube Airdroid feature videos.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Plonie

Plonie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 06:56 AM

I thank you profusely, Animal! I will study everything carefully before doing anything rash but I am mighty pleased that it does indeed seem possible. Apologies for putting it in the wrong forum and thank you for moving it.

#4 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2015 - 04:30 AM

All phones comes with their various features and functions. Depends on what your taste is. The truth is people use less than 10 percent of their phone function. Understand the feature you love most about your new phone ( pictures, music etc) then decide. 

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 02 July 2015 - 10:48 AM

The truth is people use less than 10 percent of their phone function.

I would like to know where that percentage was derived from? What data is it based on? It does not fit the circle of friends, acquaintances and co-workers I associate with.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users