Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu Crashes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JDC115

JDC115

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:32 PM

Whenever I open the start menu, then fully expand it by hitting the arrow button, the start menu will freeze before crashing and sending me back to the unexpanded menu. Also, whenever I try to search for something using the sidebar menu, the menu will freeze after a few seconds of my typing. This started happening after I got the reserve Windows 10 update/message. I have all of the latest windows updates installed. Furthermore, some of my programs are now starting to crash when I use them (chrome, iTunes, etc.). They will act normally, freeze, and then crash, just like my start menu does.

My system info is below.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 4094 Mb
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 953765 MB, Free - 564982 MB;
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., EP45-UD3R
Antivirus: Ad-Aware Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

I appreciate any help given. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 07:06 AM

Have you tried:

- DISM/SFC.EXE /SCANNOW

- System Restore

- Refresh

Here's instructions for DISM/SFC.EXE /SCANNOW:

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 JDC115

JDC115
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:02 PM

I'm not certain why that works, but it does. It didn't detect any problems, but after doing that my start menu does work again.

Thank you so much!

#4 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 08:11 PM

I'm not certain why that works, but it does. It didn't detect any problems, but after doing that my start menu does work again.

Thank you so much!

Because it is the Tool from Microsoft to fix OS/software issues.  There is the FIX-it Tool & more recently this one both are to rectify a variety of issues.  It works because that's job, lol.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 26 June 2015 - 04:54 PM

They say it's an autoMATIC repair - but I believe that it's autoMAGICAL :0)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users