Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to uninstall Linux?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Habesque

Habesque

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:26 PM

Currently I am dual booting or rather treble booting with Win 7, Petra and Rebecca and given Rebecca I am still locked out of it ( I think I know what I did to cause that......I without knowledge installed level 4 and 5 updates, the experimental ones so likely Rebecca is stuffed ), Petra is out of date and now I can get into Win 7 I have decided to keep it as my imaging software is in Win 7 and I need that.

So how to get rid of Rebecca ?

And how to update Petra... can it be done from within Petra ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:07 PM

Open terminal and type the following. or copy and paste it.

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

This will update your system.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:18 AM

Currently I am dual booting or rather treble booting with Win 7, Petra and Rebecca and given Rebecca I am still locked out of it ( I think I know what I did to cause that......I without knowledge installed level 4 and 5 updates, the experimental ones so likely Rebecca is stuffed ), Petra is out of date and now I can get into Win 7 I have decided to keep it as my imaging software is in Win 7 and I need that.

I think it is unlikely these updates caused you problems imo, I ran them for 6 months and Pjtor123 is pretty knowledgable as his site explains how to do this.

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/Home

As for how to get rid of Rebecca, I don't think I should advise you of that.  If it were me I would read up on it and then Delete it with gparted via. a LiveDVD.  This might mess up your bootloader though, I don't know.  Then you will have to fix that, and, might be locked out of W7 again until that is done.

Isn't Petra old?

You might be better off wiping the linux systems, reinstalling windows, and starting over, but that depends on your situation.  Here are some articles that will help you out.  Really like the Howtogeek one.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=156776   Or

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OS-Uninstaller

http://www.howtogeek.com/141818/how-to-uninstall-a-linux-dual-boot-system-from-your-computer/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:17 PM

You can use A Gparted LIVE CD and just wipe the partition with Rebecca on it.I should not affect your other installs.

#5 marcoose777

marcoose777

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:29 AM

Once, and once alone.

Insert a live cd/dvd based distro - 'it doesn't matter which'

Open a terminal session e.g. xterm, gnome terminal or whatever. That should place you straight in the virtual/live environment. Next you need to locate your hard drive that you wish to 'uninstall' linux from.

For me I prefer lsblk, it prints a pretty tree diagram of the root devices, and the partition layout. You appreciate that once you've zeroed out something you really wanted to keep by mistake.

On my machine for example:

$lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk
|-sda1   8:1    0   7.6G  0 part /var
`-sda2   8:2    0 458.1G  0 part /home
sdb      8:16   0 238.5G  0 disk
|-sdb1   8:17   0 488.3M  0 part /boot/efi
|-sdb2   8:18   0 976.6M  0 part /boot
`-sdb3   8:19   0   237G  0 part /
sdc      8:32   1  14.7G  0 disk
`-sdc1   8:33   1  14.7G  0 part
sr0     11:0    1   4.1G  0 rom  /mnt/dveedee

For me I'd need to completely wipe both sda and sdb, yours will probably be different. Once you know who what where you want to erase then back to the terminal.

example for my layout

$ su

password <enter it then> (You probably will need to investigate this, some live disks use 'toor' or some other such scheme)

$ dd -if=/dev/zero -of=/dev/sda

$ dd -if=/dev/zero -of=/dev/sdb

For you, you're going to need to identify the partition you want to keep, if it's a single disk drive then chances are you'll have something like:

sda      8:0    0 465.8G  0 disk 
├─sda1   8:1    0    25G  0 part 
├─sda2   8:2    0 186.3G  0 part /media/OS * Windows partition *
├─sda3   8:3    0  14.4G  0 part /
└─sda4   8:4    0 240.1G  0 part /home

You'll need to set '-of=/dev/sdaN', where N=linux partition and repeat for any other dedicated linux partitions you have(in the above it would be sda3 then sda4). Once done you'll need to reboot and either delete/manage the entry(s) from bios or efi whichever you have.

Take extreme caution with 'dd', it's not called disk destroyer for nothing, be sure and double sure before you issue 'dd' on the command prompt. You can speed up dd with settings for a couple of it's parameters 'BS' and 'count', though not specifying these invokes the defaults which are perfectly ok.

You should know have empty spaces on your storage where linux lived, and a sole working partition containing windows.

Adios, y feliz explora

Edited by marcoose777, 21 June 2015 - 01:06 PM.

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:17 PM

The first thing to check is which operating system controls the bootloader, since you may end up with an unbootable drive if you delete that operating system.

If you are using the standard Grub2 bootloader, in its default configuration, it should be the operating system at the top of the boot menu.

If you're referring to Linux Mint, Petra is no longer supported so can't be updated. So I suggest getting rid of Petra, and repairing/reinstalling/replacing Rebecca. As pcpunk said, the problem is unlikely to be the updates.

Edited by Al1000, 21 June 2015 - 12:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users