Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need a modem,router or gateway ?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:13 PM

Modems/Routers/Gateways...Oh my !

I'm sorry,guys...I don't really know where to go with this question.That's why I'm posting it here.A couple of times over the past week (Or,so) it seems that my router has gone down.The first time,it was down for (I'm not sure how many) hours.It went down again yesterday for (Again,I'm not sure how many) hours.

Well,this second time,I called ATT and according to them,I need a new router.So,I've been looking on ebay (not much to choose from). My question is,do I need a "modem" or a "router" or,a Gateway ??? I know both enable internet access.But,really,what's the difference ?

I have ATT DSL and,2 laptops in the household that we prefer to run wirelessly.Any advice would be immensely appreciated !

And,in case I didn't make myself clear...do I need a modem or a router and are these modems routers isp specific ? Do I have to buy one that works with my isp or type of internet (dsl) ? Does one isp or another(dsl/dial-up/cable) require any certain specifications ? Please help if you can ,folks.I'd hate to buy the wrong thing from some place like ebay or Amazon and find out it's not going work.I got lucky the first time I did this.But,I'd sure like some input ! I can't buy one from the isp.They're just too expensive from them (Like their service). And,please remember-I'm wanting to connect 2 laptops wirelessly.

Edited by hamluis, 20 June 2015 - 07:46 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:49 PM

Depending on you dwelling / size  / distance etc all play a part in quality and stability.

I run a 3 in 1 Modem Router Wireless Unit - TP Link TD -W8960N and have no issues in running 3 desktops and 2 Laptops.

I paid $50 but you can pay more depending on your needs and situation etc.

Most are easy to setup and configuring for your needs and others here at BC may add their preferences to other units.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:57 PM

How does AT&T know your router is bad, dropping in and out can be caused by a few things.  Normally if a router dies it is DEAD....  See if some of the guys up here can check yours out before you plunk down $$$.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:30 PM

The ISP can run a diagnostic. Depending on who supplied the router and it's settings, they can log in to it.

If the existing equipment is old, new would be a wise investment.

GuitarFiend, you would want a router/gateway. Here is ATT help page for connecting none-ATT device: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB401764&cv=801,902

They do have a branded 'gateway' in their shop: http://www.att.com/equipment/accessory-details/?q_categoryid=cat2020062&q_sku=sku5520238&q_manufacturer=&q_model=

I guess that would be pre-configured.

They also do a modem, but not much cheaper than the router, and you would still need extra equipment hanging off it.

Edited by Mike.Tech, 19 June 2015 - 09:34 PM.

#5 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:33 PM

Guys ! Thanks so ,much for your replies !

Doppleganger-I called ATT after the second time my router went down within about a week/week and a half to find out if they were having any problems/outages in my area.T said they were not.They began asking me questions regarding the lights on the front of the router and then I told them that occasionally the power light was flashing red they said that that was an indication that the router was going bad.The first time the router did this,I just ignored it for some odd hours thinking that maybe someone hit a telephone pole with their car or something like that and that they'd have it fixed in a few hours.

Indeed,hours later,it was working again.It again worked itself out some hours later the second time this happened.The second time this happened though,I kind of watched it a bit and it seemed to keep running  a loop of trying to connect.For hours.I don't know what made it finally work itself out.I did the usual pulling of the plug and resetting it but,that seemed to do nothing.I even blew the airways out just in case it was getting too hot or something.But,the airways looked clean.So,again,I just don't know what's going on.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:12 PM

In answer to your question...

Unless you have a dialup connection your ISP usually supplies you with a modem which connects you to the Internet.

A computer or several computers use a router to connect to the modem.  The modem is usually your piece of equipment.

Please post the make and model of the router you are using.

When you experience this problem do both of the laptops lose connection with the router?

Have you tried using a Etherware cable to make sure the problem isn't with the laptops?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:39 PM

I went that route with ATT too and left them because of the trouble.  At first they "gave" me the DSL modem, I already had my own router (Belkin) but didn't mention it.  18 months later the modem goes down after intermittent drops and such by the router but the router could be accessed.  ATT tech said I was lucky to get 6 months from the freebie modem.  I bought my own and fought with degraded service.  I bailed out for the cable internet and don't think I'll go back.

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:44 AM

Personally I think you need to do a bit more investigating before spending money.  As was stated above routers typically do not just ' intermittently' ' go bad' they simply die.  It could be you need to update the firmware in your current one.  It may help if you provide us the model of your DSL and of your router. 

It's hard for us to suggest to you what to get without knowing your current setup.  Do you have a wireless aDSL modem now?  (one device going to the wall) Or do you have a aDSL modem connected to a wireless router now? (two devices)

I suspect you have one device.. a wireless aDSL modem.  In which case new ones are not that cheap regardless of what you do.  ATnT will usually allow you to spread payments over on top of your bill.  These devices are typically called a ADSL gateway.  I suggest you do not buy used.  You should be able to get a list of compatible ones from AtnT from a website somewhere.

fun fact aDSL = Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line works over old phone lines.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:07 AM

Have you gone through the drill of clearing DNS?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#10 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:41 PM

How does AT&T know your router is bad, dropping in and out can be caused by a few things.  Normally if a router dies it is DEAD....  See if some of the guys up here can check yours out before you plunk down $$$.

Thanks very much my friend.This is exactly what I thought myself !

#11 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:54 PM

I'd like to thank everyone who responded VERY much ! I think Phil & Yeahbleeping are right as far as routers not intermittently going down.Which is what I originally thought. I would also like to let everyone know that since this last time this happened and the router finally was able to connect again, it almost seems like my connection has even gotten better. Hmmmmmm. And, it has not dropped out since. BUT ! The first time this happened and finally re-connected, it was about a week to a week and a half before it dropped out the second time. It's only been MAYBE about a week this time since it's been up. So, let's see ! Keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by GuitarFiend, 23 June 2015 - 01:10 PM.

#12 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:59 PM

In answer to your question...

Unless you have a dialup connection your ISP usually supplies you with a modem which connects you to the Internet.

A computer or several computers use a router to connect to the modem.  The modem is usually your piece of equipment.

Please post the make and model of the router you are using.

When you experience this problem do both of the laptops lose connection with the router?

Have you tried using a Etherware cable to make sure the problem isn't with the laptops?

Arachibutyrophobia-The make & model is an ATT 2 Wire 2701HG-B.And,yes,both laptops lose connection. But, see now, it's the router itself that is losing the connection. So, as far as trying an Ethernet cable, that kind of seems pointless. ;)

#13 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:03 PM

Personally I think you need to do a bit more investigating before spending money.  As was stated above routers typically do not just ' intermittently' ' go bad' they simply die.  It could be you need to update the firmware in your current one.  It may help if you provide us the model of your DSL and of your router. 

It's hard for us to suggest to you what to get without knowing your current setup.  Do you have a wireless aDSL modem now?  (one device going to the wall) Or do you have a aDSL modem connected to a wireless router now? (two devices)

I suspect you have one device.. a wireless aDSL modem.  In which case new ones are not that cheap regardless of what you do.  ATnT will usually allow you to spread payments over on top of your bill.  These devices are typically called a ADSL gateway.  I suggest you do not buy used.  You should be able to get a list of compatible ones from AtnT from a website somewhere.

fun fact aDSL = Asynchronous Digital Subscriber Line works over old phone lines.

I seem to remember once that ATT (Or, someone) told me that this router (ATT 2Wire 2701HG-B) auto updates

#14 GuitarFiend

GuitarFiend
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:05 PM

Have you gone through the drill of clearing DNS?

THIS I have not done. Probably because I don't know how :) Guess I might have to look into that.

#15 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 01:23 PM

FYI this thread on ATnT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users