Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast Boot Scan found "VBS:Agent-BII" & Win32:OutBrowse-JV

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Janho

Janho

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:28 PM

Windows 7 Pro Desktop, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

While working in Photoshop and attempting to open a Topaz Labs filter which has been on my computer for over a year with no problems, Avast shot me a warning about the Topaz Filter being malicious and quarantined it (and the filter doesn't work now) and told me I needed to shut down so Avast could run a boot scan.  Photoshop wouldn't work anymore, so i had no choice but to turn off and restart

The Avast Boot Scan found two viruses - (1) WIN32:OUTBROWSE-JV AND (2) VBS: AGENT-BII.  I had Avast send both to the chest.

I then looked up these viruses on the net and they both seem very malicious - can open back doors, can reinfect my computer continuously, can eventually corrupt all my data, etc.

So, I'd like to know (1) how to completely remove these viruses (and all their registry entries, etc.) and (2) is there a way to know if they have corrupted anything else and if so, (3) how can I remove/fix any harm these viruses have done.

Would appreciate any help you can give - am afraid to do anything on this computer until I am sure it is clean!

Thanks so much!

Jan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:37 PM

Hi Jan :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

Can you post the Avast log with the files moved to the chest?

- Press windows8_key.png + R
- on the run window Copy & Paste the text:

"C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\chest\index.xml"

The log should open in the browser copy & paste it contents to your post.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Janho

Janho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:17 AM

Thanks for the help, Sleepy Dude!  Here's the Avast Log;

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<aswObject><NewId>0000000D</NewId><Size>266315945</Size><ChestEntry><ChestId>00000001</ChestId><FileTime>1399492299</FileTime><OrigFileName>WBkuIsV1.exe.part</OrigFileName><OrigFolder>C:\Users\Jan\AppData\Local\Temp</OrigFolder><Comment/><Virus>Win32:Adware-gen [Adw]</Virus><Category>Vir</Category><Restore>yes</Restore><TransferTime>1399477907</TransferTime><FileSize>926644</FileSize></ChestEntry><ChestEntry><ChestId>00000002</ChestId><FileTime>1414785879</FileTime><OrigFileName>topazdenoise5_setup.exe</OrigFileName><OrigFolder>C:\Users\Jan\Documents\TOPAZ</OrigFolder><Comment/><Virus>Win32:Adware-gen [Adw]</Virus><Category>Vir</Category><Restore>yes</Restore><TransferTime>1416240018</TransferTime><FileSize>36251008</FileSize></ChestEntry><ChestEntry><ChestId>00000003</ChestId><FileTime>1416870479</FileTime><OrigFileName>dragonsetup[1].exe</OrigFileName><OrigFolder>C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5</OrigFolder><Comment/><Virus>Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]</Virus><Category>Vir</Category><Restore>yes</Restore><TransferTime>1416856089</TransferTime><FileSize>40959975</FileSize></ChestEntry><ChestEntry><ChestId>00000004</ChestId><FileTime>1416870449</FileTime><OrigFileName>dragon_setup.exe</OrigFileName><OrigFolder>C:\Windows\TEMP</OrigFolder><Comment/><Virus>Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]</Virus><Category>Vir</Category><Restore>yes</Restore><TransferTime>1416856090</TransferTime><FileSize>40959975</FileSize></ChestEntry><ChestEntry><ChestId>00000005</ChestId><FileTime>1052424058</FileTime><OrigFileName>OpwareSE2.exe</OrigFileName><OrigFolder>C:\Program Files (x86)\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE2.0</OrigFolder><Comment/><Virus>Win32:Malware-gen</Virus><Category>Vir</Category><Restore>yes</Restore><TransferTime>1421408698</TransferTime><FileSize>49152</FileSize></ChestEntry><ChestEntry><ChestId>00000006</ChestId><FileTime>1422122204</FileTime><OrigFileName>$RVQ40XP.exe</OrigFileName><OrigFolder>C:\$Recycle.Bin\S-1-5-21-3871747905-2673850527-1663971024-1000</OrigFolder><Comment/><Virus>Win32:Adware-gen [Adw]</Virus><Category>Vir</Category><Restore>yes</Restore><TransferTime>1427038805</TransferTime><FileSize>2139160</FileSize></ChestEntry><ChestEntry><ChestId>00000007</ChestId><FileTime>1408120310</FileTime><OrigFileName>topazinfocus_setup.exe</OrigFileName><OrigFolder>C:\Users\Jan\Documents\TOPAZ\INFOCUS1.10</OrigFolder><Comment/><Virus>Win32:Adware-gen [Adw]</Virus><Category>Vir</Category><Restore>yes</Restore><TransferTime>1427038805</TransferTime><FileSize>47172456</FileSize></ChestEntry><ChestEntry><ChestId>00000008</ChestId><FileTime>1434051546</FileTime><OrigFileName>dragonsetup[1].exe</OrigFileName><OrigFolder>C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5</OrigFolder><Comment/><Virus>Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]</Virus><Category>Vir</Category><Restore>yes</Restore><TransferTime>1434037155</TransferTime><FileSize>40959975</FileSize></ChestEntry><ChestEntry><ChestId>00000009</ChestId><FileTime>1434051555</FileTime><OrigFileName>dragon_setup.exe</OrigFileName><OrigFolder>C:\Windows\TEMP</OrigFolder><Comment/><Virus>Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]</Virus><Category>Vir</Category><Restore>yes</Restore><TransferTime>1434037156</TransferTime><FileSize>40959975</FileSize></ChestEntry><ChestEntry><ChestId>0000000A</ChestId><FileTime>1407549972</FileTime><OrigFileName>tladjust5.exe</OrigFileName><OrigFolder>C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Topaz Labs</OrigFolder><Comment/><Virus>FileRepMalware</Virus><Category>Vir</Category><Restore>yes</Restore><TransferTime>1434726047</TransferTime><FileSize>15423488</FileSize></ChestEntry><ChestEntry><ChestId>0000000B</ChestId><FileTime>1434747397</FileTime><OrigFileName>fbacabfbdaic.zip</OrigFileName><OrigFolder>C:\Users\Jan\AppData\Local\Temp</OrigFolder><Comment/><Virus>Win32:OutBrowse-JV [PUP]</Virus><Category>Vir</Category><Restore>yes</Restore><TransferTime>1434747397</TransferTime><FileSize>496802</FileSize></ChestEntry><ChestEntry><ChestId>0000000C</ChestId><FileTime>1431249399</FileTime><OrigFileName>bkup.dat</OrigFileName><OrigFolder>C:\Users\Jan\AppData\Roaming\Wse_taplika\UpdateProc</OrigFolder><Comment/><Virus>VBS:Agent-BII [Trj]</Virus><Category>Vir</Category><Restore>yes</Restore><TransferTime>1434747799</TransferTime><FileSize>17327</FileSize></ChestEntry>

</aswObject>

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:47 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the log, now I have some ideas about what is going on...

I would like to confirm if the problem with the Topaz Filter is a false positive or not. Locate the file tladjust5.exe inside the folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Topaz Labs if the file doesn't exist you need to open Avast and check the Virus Chest, right click the file and export it to the Desktop.
  • Visit the site www.virustotal.com
  • Click Choose File then on the File Upload window locate the file tladjust5.exe and click Open
  • If you see a pop-up with "File already analyzed" click Reanalyse and wait for the scan to finish
  • Copy the link you have on the address bar of the browser window, it should be something like this: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/... and post in your topic
9OoOKtajgSmoOAS611kOcmffOCc4Sw.png AdwCleaner Scan
  • Download AdwCleaner from here to the Desktop
  • Close all open windows and browsers
  • Right click on the AdwCleaner_Icon.gif icon and choose Run as Administrator to execute the program
    (When the Tool opens for the first time you have to accept the Terms of use - click J'accepte/I Agree)
    AdwCleaner_Clean.png
  • Click the Scan button and wait for the scan to finish, only then the Clean button becomes active
  • Click the Clean button and wait, once done it may ask to reboot, allow it.
  • On reboot a log will be presented please copy/paste that in your next reply. The report is saved to C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt
    9OoOKtajgSmoOAS611kOcmffOCc4Sw.png Scan with Malwarebytes

- Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (MBAM)
    - execute mbam-setup and follow the prompts to install the program
    mbam2.jpg
    - on the last step of installation, be sure to:
    • check Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • uncheck Enable free trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro
    - click Finish
    - let the program update the definitions and then it will load
    - close all the other running programs, specially the Web browser
    - click the Scan Now button
    - when the scan has completed, the results will be displayed. Click on Quarantine All, then click on Apply Actions.
    - to complete any actions taken you will be prompted to restart your computer...click on Yes. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes from removing all the malware.
    - after rebooting the computer, copy and paste the mbam.log in your next reply.
    • To retrieve the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 scan log information (Method 1)
    • Open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
    • Click the History Tab at the top and select Application Logs.
    • Select (check) the box next to Scan Log. Choose the most current scan.
    • Click the View button.
    • Click Copy to Clipboard at the bottom...come back to this thread, click Add Reply, then right-click and choose Paste.
    • Alternatively, you can click Export and save the log as a .txt file on your Desktop or another location.
    • Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
    Please post the Virustotal resulting link and the logs generated by Adwcleaner and MBAM

Edited by SleepyDude, 21 June 2015 - 01:23 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 Janho

Janho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:39 AM

Thanks, Sleepy Dude!

tladjust5.exe was not in the C:\program Files (x86) etc. folder, so I exported it from Avast Virus Chest to the desktop.  Unfortunately, when I go on to the www.virustotal.com site and type the file name pcwatch.sys, it tells me "File Not Found".  I have my files and folders set up to show all hidden files and Windows System Files, but, it's not finding that file anywhere. 

I searched online for info on pcwatch.sys and found it was from Objectifying media, Watchdog Driver and should be located in C:\Windows|System32\drivers folder.  I did not find it, but found a "pcw.sys" file instead - could that be it?  If so, tell me and I will run that file at www.virustotal.com.

Meantime, should I go ahead and start the AdwCleaner Scan and then the Malewarebytes Scan?

Thanks for your help!

Jan

#6 Janho

Janho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:03 AM

Sleepy Dude - forgot to say - Avast hates Topaz Labs - it has quarantined other of it's filters before.  But Adjust 5 has been on my system since 8/31/14 with no problems.  And Avast really went nuts when I opened it this time - immediately quarantined it and gave me a pop-up report to fill out (which I did) and insisted that I do a boot scan immediately.  It never went that nuts before.

Jan

Edited by Janho, 21 June 2015 - 11:09 AM.

#7 Janho

Janho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:42 AM

Okay, Sleepy Dude - here's the AdwCleaner report. Will begin Malewarebytes next.

jan

# AdwCleaner v4.206 - Logfile created 21/06/2015 at 12:36:48
# Updated 01/06/2015 by Xplode
# Database : 2015-06-17.1 [Server]
# Operating system : Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (x64)
# Username : Jan - JANCENTRAL
# Running from : C:\Users\Jan\Desktop\adwcleaner_4.206.exe
# Option : Cleaning

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files (x86)\WSE_Taplika
Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files (x86)\Air Globe
Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\AppData\Local\Temp\Air Globe
Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\AppData\Local\PackageAware
Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\AppData\Roaming\WSE_Taplika
Folder Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\AppData\Local\Comodo\Dragon\User Data\Default\Extensions\cmaiofennmphjldldcpphcechfnnohja
File Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\AppData\Local\Comodo\Dragon\User Data\Default\Local Storage\chrome-extension_cmaiofennmphjldldcpphcechfnnohja_0.localstorage
File Deleted : C:\Users\Jan\AppData\Roaming\PLGComp.ini

***** [ Scheduled tasks ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{C43F0D7D-78F0-47B8-954C-8FB36960B785}
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{C43F0D7D-78F0-47B8-954C-8FB36960B785}
Key Deleted : HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\GeekBuddyRSP

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v11.0.9600.17840

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v38.0.5 (x86 en-US)

-\\ Comodo Dragon v36.1.1.21

[C:\Users\Jan\AppData\Local\Comodo\Dragon\User Data\Default\Web Data] - Deleted [Search Provider] : hxxp://search.aol.com/aol/search?query={searchTerms}
[C:\Users\Jan\AppData\Local\Comodo\Dragon\User Data\Default\Web Data] - Deleted [Search Provider] : hxxp://search.ask.com/web?o=APN10257&doi=<DOI>&apn_dtid=%5E<MTRACK>%5EYY%5EUS&q={searchTerms}
[C:\Users\Jan\AppData\Local\Comodo\Dragon\User Data\Default\Preferences] - Deleted [Extension] : cmaiofennmphjldldcpphcechfnnohja

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [2076 bytes] - [21/06/2015 12:34:49]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [2029 bytes] - [21/06/2015 12:36:48]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [2088  bytes] ##########

#8 Janho

Janho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:25 PM

Here's the MBAM scan - I did a "Threat Scan" it found nothing.  Should I do a "Custon Scan" instead?  l

Let me know what to do next.

Thanks, Sleepy Dude

Jan

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 6/21/2015
Scan Time: 12:51:55 PM
Logfile: MBAMSCAN-6-21-15.txt
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.01.6.1022
Malware Database: v2015.06.21.03
Rootkit Database: v2015.06.15.01
License: Free
Malware Protection: Disabled
Malicious Website Protection: Disabled
Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: Jan

Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 399410
Time Elapsed: 17 min, 22 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Enabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 01:43 PM

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the scan results.

Sorry I did a mistake on my instruction on post #4 the file you need to upload to virustotal is tladjust5.exe, please post the result.

Two more scans...

9OoOKtajgSmoOAS611kOcmffOCc4Sw.png Junkware Removal Tool (JRT)
  • Download JRT to your Desktop
  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications
  • (If you have difficulty properly disabling your security programs, refer to this link.)
  • Right click on the icon JRT.jpg and choose Run as Administrator. Make sure all other windows are closed & follow the prompts.
    (The tool will start scanning your system please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications and the program you have installed)
  • On completion Notepad will open showing the log JRT.txt (the log is saved to your desktop). Please copy and paste its contents on your next reply
  • Enable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications
9OoOKtajgSmoOAS611kOcmffOCc4Sw.png Security Check
  • Download Security Check by screen317 from here or here and Save it to the Desktop.
  • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications because they can interfer with this tool.
    (If you have difficulty properly disabling your security programs, refer to this link)
  • Right click on the icon SecurityCheckIcon2.png and choose Run as Administrator.
    SecurityCheck.png
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the full contents of that document.
  • Enable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications
Post the Virustotal link and the logs JRT.txt and checkup.txt

___
Rui

#10 Janho

Janho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:30 PM

Ok, Sleepy Dude, here's the link to the virustotal.com scan of tladjust5.exe:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/dae899ba2b411472bdb59d838f3c98e82e18574ea1836aad0ca647ccc45963b8/analysis/1434922013/

I also did a second, full scan with MBAM and it found nothing - here's that log:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 6/21/2015
Scan Time: 2:34:26 PM
Logfile: MBAM-SCAN-FULL-6-21-15.txt
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.01.6.1022
Malware Database: v2015.06.21.04
Rootkit Database: v2015.06.15.01
License: Free
Malware Protection: Disabled
Malicious Website Protection: Disabled
Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: Jan

Scan Type: Custom Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 646409
Time Elapsed: 2 hr, 13 min, 25 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Enabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

Will run the Junkware Removal Tool and Security Check and post those logs when they are done. 

Thanks for all you are doing!!!

Jan

#11 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:38 PM

Hi,

Ok, Sleepy Dude, here's the link to the virustotal.com scan of tladjust5.exe:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/dae899ba2b411472bdb59d838f3c98e82e18574ea1836aad0ca647ccc45963b8/analysis/1434922013/

According to Virustotal the file is clean and Avast isn't detect it as bad!

Can you restore the file tladjust5.exe from the Avast chest to check if Avast detect the file as infected? (let me know if you need some directions to do it)

Will run the Junkware Removal Tool and Security Check and post those logs when they are done. 
Thanks for all you are doing!!!
Jan

Ok. You are welcome.

___
Rui

#12 Janho

Janho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:08 PM

Sleepy Dude,

Yes, I can try to restore tladjust5.exe from the Chest, but I'm not sure that's the right way to do it, based on past times when Avast quarantined other Topaz Filters.  Let me check Topaz Lab's forum and see if I can find the thread where they told me what to do the last time Avast tanked one of their filters.

Jan

okay, last time Avast didn't like one of my topaz filters during a routine scan, the advice was to ignore the Avast desire to quarantine it.  Avast didn't give me that option this time, it automatically quarantined it and I wasn't doing a scan, I was working in PS 5.

So I'm just going to restore it from the chest and then go into PS and see if it's working or not.  Will let you know.

Jan

Edited by Janho, 21 June 2015 - 05:15 PM.

#13 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:19 PM

So I'm just going to restore it from the chest and then go into PS and see if it's working or not.  Will let you know.

Jan

Exactly. They probably tell you to create an exception but in this case isn't necessary because if Avast is updated it should not target the file again.

___
Rui

#14 Janho

Janho
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:25 PM

Okay, this is what happened.  I right clicked on the adjust file in the chest and chose restore.  Nothing appeared to happen, the file was still in the list.  Meantime, I also have it exported to my desktop from earlier.

So I went into the Program Files (x86) and Adjust 5 was there, surprisingly.  So I opened up PS5, opened a file and then tried to apply Adjust 5 - got an error box with the message "Cannot read common runtime path registry."

If memory serves me correctly, I have to delete Adjust 5 folder from the Program Files (x86) and then reinstall the filter.  I have the original file from when I initially downloaded it saved on my computer, I will use that file instead of downloading it again from Topaz's website.

I'll try that now, let you know.

Jan

#15 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,937 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:30 PM

The files restored from the chest continue to exist on the list based on my tests.

Ok, thanks.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users