Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS PROBE FINISHED BAD CONFIG

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Edzel1

Edzel1

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:09 PM

I have a Packard bell laptop (not the one I'm using now) running windows 8.1.... we bought a Netgear wifi adapter thinking it would help with poor wi-fi reception at the other end of the house from the router (we are with virgin media). it didn't, and now my laptop cannot connect to the internet at all, whether by wireless or by Ethernet cable. all I get when i go onto google chrome is the message shown above. I've tried comparing settings on the other with this laptop, but even though it looks the same, no joy. 

tried to find the answer online, found a suggestion of going to 'start' and 'run' ...no joy with the reset winsock (etc.) command either.

the one thing i did find out from a youtube video about how to fix this problem, is that the laptop with the problem doesn't appear to have a LAN connection in the Networks s listed - just bluetooth, two wireless adapters (one is the netgear one I suspect and the other is another ethernet adapter we had been using, where we plug it in and use a cable) and our virgin media connection. 

sorry if I have waffled on and given way too much info - i guess i just want someone to tell me how to restore internet access to my laptop! Thanks in advance, fingers crossed....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Edzel1

Edzel1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:10 PM

OK... finally spoke to Virgin Media tech support, who advised that it is a 'system error' and that I will need to reload my complete operating system. Could the Netgear extender have done this, or is it purely an unhappy con-incident? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users