Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total beginner with old computer. Any and all advice welcome.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheRealJZ94

TheRealJZ94

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:43 PM

Hello! I recently acquired an older computer from my grandparents because they believe the motherboard was fried somehow. It is a HP Pavilion a6700y desktop PC. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01612549 Link to detailed information on specs.

I Have no experience in the hardware portion of computers but have recently decided that I need a much better one than the laptop I currently have. I am selling a car soon and will be able to spend about 800$ on a new desktop and was curious if i could use anything from the HP from my grandparents and if anyone had suggestions on parts or places I can find good tutorials on how to actually build the thing. Like the title said, any and all help is welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:22 PM

Hello, and Welcome

Somebody else on the forum can give advise on what parts to keep and purchase but I would ask if the computer powers on and why do your grandparents think its a motherboard problem?

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,433 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:00 AM

I had the same kind of old HP and it probably is the motherboard. I tried to re-use the the OS but Windows says that it is tied to the computer. Also tried to use the hard drive but it is a different size than the ones I am using now, I could not figure out how to use it. I still have the old thing in the garage, but I only use it running Linux Puppy live.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 TheRealJZ94

TheRealJZ94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:25 PM

@John_21  To be honest I'm not quite sure why they thought that as I am currently writing this on the computer. I've finally managed to snag a monitor for this old thing. 

Next question was I was wondering if THIS (

EVGA 02G-P3-1733-KR GeForce GT 730 2GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Low Profile Ready Video Card

) video card would work in this computer. Or if it's even any good to use as a graphics card

Edited by TheRealJZ94, 22 June 2015 - 08:26 PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:52 PM

That card is definitely an improvement. You can see the GT730 vs the 6150SE difference. The EVGA card you reference here seems to have a passive heat sink instead of a fan. Notice the size of the heat sink. Make sure there would be no interference with another card in the computer if it has one. Also look at the PSU specs. Your computer has a 300 PSU and the card specs that as a minimum but that is for a i7 CPU so you may be okay. Also make sure you have a minimum or 20 Amps on the +12 volt rail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users