Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GT 720 for a 8+ year-old PC with 380W PSU?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nicologic

nicologic

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:45 PM

Hi everyone, a novice calling.

A couple of days ago my GeForce 7950GT collapsed and i'm looking for a replacement. I barely use my old computer for graphic purpose (just a few Photoshop, a bit of non-rendered industrial 3D and no more games since a long ago...). After an intense quick learning research on the web, I am pretty sure that both nVidia GT 610 and GT 720 would perfectly work to me. I'd rather buy the newer 720 (a bit more powerful, more efficient, 4K UHD option, and pretty close to the oldie 610 in price). I have already ensured I should not have problems by (still) using WinXP, an Intel 945P based motherboard, and PCI-express 1.1.

The problem is that on EVGA's site (and only there) I've seen that the GT 720 requires a minimum of 20A at the +12v rail form the PSU, while the GT 610 just needs 16A (with an i7 @ 3.2 GHz refference PC). As my PSU tops at 380w it just gets 17A at +12v, but I don't know if my 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo can be compared to the i7. Both seem to have pretty similar TDP's at around 65w, but I'm not sure if that makes any point.

GT 610: http://www.evga.com/products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=eceef17b...

GT 720: http://www.evga.com/products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=fc58655d...

Question is: As I'm replacing a 82W TDP card (7950GT, which gave me ZERO problems in 8 years until now) with the 23W GT 720, does it defeat the Ampere shortage from the PSU? Would it work? Or should I go straight for the GT 610?

Thank you all!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:06 PM

You should be 100% fine.

The 720 lists a recommended PSU of 300 watts 22 amps, and the 7950GT lists a PSU with 350watts at 22amps as the recommended. You're FINE if the 7950GT ran stable for so long on that. 

Strongly recommend the 720 for UHD support.  It'll only be at 30fps, but movies wont go over that and I doubt you'd game on it. The 610 is also weaker then the 7950GT you were using. 

Well....unless it is that the 7950GT failed because the PSU couldn't supply it properly anymore (capacitor aging and all). 

Edited by SEANIA, 19 June 2015 - 04:10 PM.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#3 nicologic

nicologic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:16 PM

You should be 100% fine.

The 720 lists a recommended PSU of 300 watts 22 amps, and the 7950GT lists a PSU with 350watts at 22amps as the recommended. You're FINE if the 7950GT ran stable for so long on that. 

Strongly recommend the 720 for UHD support.  It'll only be at 30fps, but movies wont go over that and I doubt you'd game on it. The 610 is also weaker then the 7950GT you were using. 

Well....unless it is that the 7950GT failed because the PSU couldn't supply it properly anymore (capacitor aging and all). 

That's perfect, SEANIA!

Exactly what I needed. And thanks for the last comment, that definately helps in my decision (I thought the GT 610 was a bit over my 7950GT).

Cheers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users