Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange changes of download speed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewMacB

AndrewMacB

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:48 PM

My machine has Win7 Pro SP1 installed on it, as well as IE 11.

When my cable Internet provider sends a technician to me to check the download speed, he connects his laptop directly to my cable modem with an Ethernet cable and tests the download speed on www.speedtest.net. His results are identical with the Internet provider's claims.

Immediately after that he tests the download speed on my desktop (connected in the same way) and receives the same result.

A few minutes after technician leaves, I repeat the test and the download speed drops to half of the previous speed.

Such a situation happened to me several times before, on occasion of visits of other technicians.

I wonder if I can 'inherit' e.g. extra open ports or modem settings from the technician's laptop test for a very short period of time, which could justify my perfect download result in test no. 2 and not in later tests. Please note that the value of the download speed isn't essential in this problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:19 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

He tests the download speed on my desktop (connected in the same way) and receives the same result.

If by this you mean he tests the connection on your desktop using an ethernet cable and when you try the test later you are connecting by wi-fi that is your answer. Ethernet is always faster and more stable than wi-fi. the downside of using it, especially with a laptop, is that you are tethered to the router by the cable.

However if you mean you get one speed using his cable and another using your own, then replace your cable.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 AndrewMacB

AndrewMacB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:16 AM

Hi Chris,

I agree with all your general comments but they are not applicable in this case. Therefore a few words of explanation:

All the tests were performed with Ethernet cable connected to my cable modem (Hitron). To be more specific:
Test 1: technician's laptop and his Ethernet cable
Test 2: my desktop and my Ethernet cable, directly after Test 1
Test 3: my desktop and my Ethernet cable, a few minutes after Test 2

To be precise, the download speed during Test 2 was some 8% lower than in the case of Test 1, which can be neglected.

Essential is here explanation of the discrepancy between results of Test 2 and Test 3. I don't understand it and would like to know if my suggestion might be correct.

Naturally, I assume that the provider's technicians I dealt with didn't cheat with me using known to them tricks.

Edited by AndrewMacB, 20 June 2015 - 06:21 AM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:32 PM

I don't understand it either, and more to the point I can't think of an explanation for it.

Sorry.

Chris cosgrove

#5 AndrewMacB

AndrewMacB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:35 PM

To me the only explanation I can think of is the following:

During technician test (Test 1) some extra ports are temporarily open and/or optimal networking settings from his laptop are passed to my cable modem.

In such a case Test 2 performed on my desktop immediately after Test 1 could take advantage of the above changes. 5 min. later, however, these changes expire and return to my old settings. tConsequently, during Test 3 I'm left with lower download speed.

Is such a 'inheritance' of settings possible?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users