Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Funny Problem After Image Restore.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MaMister

MaMister

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:43 PM

I wanted to try a new software but afraid that it will crash my windows so I use symantec ghost to create a image of the healthy windows.

After I tested the software (partition software), I restore back my image to the active and primary partition and thats where the problem comes....

It boots ok. Load with winxp logo ok. The bars below finish moving. Then it stucks at the place before the prompting for log in password comes out...... Only a small Microsoft windows logo thats all..... any idea?

Edited by MaMister, 08 July 2006 - 07:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MaMister

MaMister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 12:28 AM

Safemode also won't start, happens same thing too....

Edited by MaMister, 08 July 2006 - 01:03 AM.

#3 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:11 AM

It sounds like a corrupt system... have you tried booting it up with the aid of the xp disk?

#4 MaMister

MaMister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 03:14 AM

Yes, I tired replacing the 'system" and "software' file from the repair folder to windows\system32\config using Recovery Console Tool but it still didn't work....

I don't think that should be the problem as what I have imagine cloning is a good working windows.

Edited by MaMister, 08 July 2006 - 03:27 AM.

#5 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 03:49 AM

did it copy JUST windows? is it possible that it just coppied the xp and none of the user information etc?

#6 MaMister

MaMister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:17 AM

I clone the partition of the working os, that includes everything....

#7 msittech

msittech

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:04 AM

If the software you were trying out was a partitioning software, it is possible that your drive is showing a smaller primary partition that it was when you created your image. I would re-partition your drive to the largest possible, and then restore the image. I have always had successful results with Partition Magic. You will find some great ghost troubleshooting information at this web site: http://ghost.radified.com/ Good Luck!

#8 MaMister

MaMister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:37 AM

Ok, here is the actual case,

I have a sony vaio laptop that comes with recovery option ( hidden partition).

c:(hidden 5GB)
d:WinXP Home (20GB)
e:Others (35GB)

I have a wonderful thinking that if I clone my existing working OS to a image file

Then delete the hidden partition and my xp drive, recreate a 25GB primary active partition and restore the image.

Wonderful idea to do, now the problem comes after restoring the image....

It boots ok. Load with winxp logo ok. The bars below finish moving. Then it stucks at the place BEFORE the prompting for log in password comes out...... Only a small Microsoft windows logo thats all..... any idea?

#9 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:48 AM

Question, When you restored the Image that you made did you try to restore it to an already occupied partition? Like was Windows XP on there already? If it was this is probably the cause of the problem, I am not sure that you can use the image to overwrite the already occupied space.

If what I have said is not the case then you have a corrupted image of the drive and it is not any good to use. What version of Symantec Ghost did you use? Is it a legal copy?

#10 MaMister

MaMister
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 09:10 AM

Nope,

I deleted c drive and d drive and receate a new active primary partition then I restore the os.

#11 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:24 PM

If you restored it that way and it does not work there are two things that might be wrong

The program did not restore properly possibly the reason might be the procedure was not followed properly

Or , The image was defective in some way.

One other thing that could have been done was to substitute another hard drive for the one that had the working Windows on it. This way if it got trashed the old hard drive was still ready to go and would have worked.

I was wondering do you still have the Windows XP install software for this computer with the COA (Certificate of Authenticity)? If you do then here is what you do and I suggest printing this article for reference.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install = http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Let us know what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users