Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Book Recomendations - Network Administrator/Servers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:54 AM

I am looking for a book, something that I can read up on when I have time. Something that will discuss a lot of aspects of IT Support/Network administrators.

Anything from Windows Servers, their roles, DNS, DHCP, OSI model etc. 

I was looking at this:

https://eketab2.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/addisonwesleythepracticeofsystemandnetworkadministration2ndeditionjul2007.pdf

I noticed it was a little out of date in regards to when it was published, I dont want to be given bad information, but there seems to be a lot of good content in there. Would anyone recommend me reading this? Is there anything similar that has what I am looking for that has a more recent publish date?

Thanks very much!! :) 

I look forward to the responses!!!! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:51 PM

Why do you want to learn this?  It would be easier to point you in the right direction if we knew where you wanted to end up.

The items you're asking about actually cover many different areas.  DNS, DHCP, OSI, all relate to networking  Windows servers can hand DNS and DHCP and use the OSI model.

The PDF you linked looked to have decent foundational information which doesn't go out of style.  The OSI model has been around since the 1970s.

#3 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 03:09 PM

I already know about the things I have mentioned to an extent, i deal with exchange, and many protocols on a daily basis as I work in IT Support for Business.. It would just be nice to have some reading material that basically explains these sorts of things and then talks about them in more detail that i can just start reading up on.

Just basically like: This is DNS, this is what it is, this is how it works in more detail. This is exchange, this is what it is, this is how it works...

Obviously in more detail, but basically a nice handbook for an IT Administrator/IT Support Tech where i can just read things and hopefully learn along the way and expand my knowledge :)

Thanks again!

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:22 PM

I would start with Comptia Network + or Cisco ICND 1 books. They both cover the basics of networking and touch on customer support.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users