Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba stopped charging even after DC jack replacement

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:48 AM

Satellite Pro C650-EZ1550, Win7

It was initially brought in dead; the battery was dead. The adapter light would only randomly light up while I twisted the connector in the jack, so I assumed a bad charger. Tried other Toshiba chargers that were available and had the same random connection issue. I surmised either a back DC jack or board issue. I replaced the DC jack and it worked perfectly, constant connection.

Now the system is back in the shop, same issue. However this time I can't seem to get any connection at all, with either the original charger or the ones I have available.

As I was writing this, I decided to bleed the power off the board. I unplugged the laptop and removed the battery. In a moment of absurdity, I plugged the charger back in. AC light came on immediately. Several tries and it continued to show a connection. I replaced the battery and now it's charging.

So now my question is this: What's going on, and how can I fix or control this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:34 PM

If this is the original battery that is used in all your testing, that is the only constant item that has not been changed. Bad battery?  I have seen them "fuss around" like this before totally dieing. Totally draining the battery may have helped bounce it back, but will it now hold a charge?

The jack was definitely bad, that was part of the problem. The battery could have also been in the process of failing.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:39 PM

That was my assumption as well. I managed to fully charge the battery and it seemed to drain pretty normal (5% over 15 mins) and left instructions to remove/replace the battery if it happens again. Might be able to squeeze a few more months out of the battery, then I can justify ordering a new one.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 25 June 2015 - 10:35 PM

Some laptops power port jack and power cord has a sensor wire in it that tells the bios the wattages of the power adapter. Any problem with that wire broken, short etc will cause the battery to not charge even though you can run the latop on full AC wall power. A lot of times when a person drops the laptop it lands right on that port and does unrepairable damage to the motherboard there. So you get cracked circuit boards, solder points etc and they are multilayered mothebroards so there may be circuitry inside those layers that can never be repaired. Only thing you can do is replace the motheboard entirely or build a new port and trace back the circuitry and jumper wire those and tap a new hole for a new port, or something like a dongle jack hanging out the back of the laptop. Then of course you have to splice in the male/female end on the power adapter to match the dongle. A friend of mine who is also a comupter tech runs a shop in NY and see's probably 10-20 laptops a year with this problem, not to mention laptops with coffee literally dripping out of them hehe. Some of them laptops cost 2-4k and the customers soon realize they can live with a dongle pigtail hanging out the back of it. LOL :lol:

Edited by technonymous, 26 June 2015 - 01:52 PM.

#5 Netghost56

Netghost56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:51 AM

Yep, in the two years I've worked out of this office I've replaced maybe 12 jacks and 2 boards. About a half dozen others were opted for the scrap pile instead of paying for a new board.

Edited by hamluis, 26 June 2015 - 11:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users