Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP laptop overheating

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 md92h

md92h

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:51 AM

Hello everyone, good day to you all

I'm trying to repair a HP 4520s laptop. the problem is it shuts down after a while using it (surfing the net, typing, watching movie, installing software ...). i thought this could be related to heat and i was right. i installed Speedfan and watched both CPU and GPU temperature go above 80C and shortly after that shut down. i disassemble the laptop. the fan was not working properly. actually it was working really slowly. so the obvious thing to do is replacing the fan with a new one which i did. but the same thing happened with the new fan! slow fan speed, overheating and shutting down. i checked the fan, the screws, the connection but everything is ok. a friend suggested this could be related to an IC controlling fan speed. what do you people think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:55 AM

It's all controlled. Check the vents and grills and blow it out with a can of air. It could be the heatsink and thermal compound or thermal pad is the problem. Over time from heat expansion they fail or the compound dries up. It gets worse in laptops because usually the CPU and GPU share the same heatsink and the heat is wicked away with copper pipes over to the cpu section and then heat is blown off by the fan and out the back. To much heat and then you get these problems. The fan just can't keep up.

#3 md92h

md92h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:46 AM

It's all controlled. Check the vents and grills and blow it out with a can of air. It could be the heatsink and thermal compound or thermal pad is the problem. Over time from heat expansion they fail or the compound dries up. It gets worse in laptops because usually the CPU and GPU share the same heatsink and the heat is wicked away with copper pipes over to the cpu section and then heat is blown off by the fan and out the back. To much heat and then you get these problems. The fan just can't keep up.

i have done them all but still it's the same. all cleaned, all checked and double checked. i applied new compound (a good one). but all of these were before i realize the slow fan speed. as i said in my first post my problem is really slow fan speed! and don't worry, the replaced fan is original with the same part number as the last one. i'm thinking about 2 possibilities: 1- what my friend said about fan speed controller being faulty 2- the new fan is faulty.

my problem with replacing fan is i have to order it from another city because there are no spare parts shop in my city, and i have to pay for it beforehand. plus this laptop belongs to a customer

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:17 PM

Check bios options and power profile options. It could of just been an ongoing thing. I litterally take the heatsink manifold out and wash it with soap and water and scrub it with a toothbrush. The lint caked in the fins in some parts you might of missed.  Some of the heatsinks in these laptops are a just poor design. What temps are you seeing now? What type of thermo paste did you use? Was there a alimunum pad on the contact area? How much did you torque it down?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users