Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to remove PQSERVICE partition?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 djdelarosa25

djdelarosa25

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:39 AM

Hi there!

I'd like to know how to remove the worthless PQSERVICE partition from my PC. From what I know, it's a recovery partition that's found on Acer computers. That seems right since the hard drive I'm using is from an old Acer Aspire PC of ours. I'd like to regain the space it's taking up so that I can install more programs, games etc.

Can anyone help me out here? I hope this process is possible. I don't want to brick my PC haha.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:23 AM

Hi djdelarosa25 :)

It's really easy to remove that partition from your drive, just keep in mind that if you delete it, you won't be able to get it back after. I just need a picture of your Disk Management Utility to see if we'll have to use a third-party program or not. Follow the instructions below.

mYEYEX7.pngDisk Management Utility
Follow the instructions below to open the Disk Management Utility:
  • For Windows 7, click on the Windows Start Menu, right-click on Computer and select Manage (requires Admin Rights). From there, click on Disk Management in the left pane;
  • For Windows 8, bring the cursor in the bottom left-corner of the screen and wait for the metro preview to open, then right-click on it and select Disk Management;
  • For Windows 8,1 bring the cursor on the Windows logo, right-click on it and select Disk Management;
  • Open the window to its full size, then take a screenshot of it and attach it to your next reply;
mq1pzD6.pngHow to take a screenshot using the Snipping Tool
Follow the instructions below to take a screenshot using Windows' Snipping Tool:
  • Press on the Win Key + R to open the Run box;
  • Enter SnippingTool and press on Enter;
  • The Snipping Tool will open, asking you to choose the area to take in the screenshot;
  • Left click on the area where you want to start the screenshot, keep it, and drag the cursor across the screen;
  • Once done, release the left button to take the screenshot;
  • In the editing window, click on the File menu then Save As;
  • Save the screenshot in a folder that you can access easily;
  • Attaching the screenshot in your reply
    • Go in your thread and click on the Reply to this topic button in the top-right corner;
      85hPFGu.png
    • Below the text box you'll have the option to Attach files. Click on the Choose Files... button, navigate to your screenshot and select it;
      LKVBzF7.png
    • Once done, add a comment to your reply and post it;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 djdelarosa25

djdelarosa25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:06 AM

Thanks mate :D

I have read that I have to make changes to the boot.ini file before I remove this or else the PC won't boot up. But I don't know how.

Attached Files

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:12 AM

Yeah we'll need to use a third-party program since you cannot expand a partition by the left in the Disk Management Utility, only by the right. We'll use EaseUS Partition Master Free in that case.

http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

Download and install it. Once in it, right-click on the partition you want to delete and select Delete partition. From there, right-click on the C: partition and select Adjust size, and expand the bar to the left to take all the free space you just created. Apply the changes and restart your computer.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 djdelarosa25

djdelarosa25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:18 AM

You sure I don't need to edit the boot.ini file? I've researched about this from the other forums and some said the boot.ini file must be modified.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:22 AM

You don't need to modify any file, no :)

unite_blue.png

#7 djdelarosa25

djdelarosa25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:23 AM

Thank you so much :) I'll get back to you as soon as it is finished.

#8 djdelarosa25

djdelarosa25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:45 AM

Awesome! Worked great. Thanks a lot :D

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:47 AM

No problem djdelarosa, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users