Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Good laptop for programmer/dev & designer?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:46 AM

Hello, I need you guys' suggestions.

Since I'm programming (C/C++, Java, SQL, etc) and graphic designing + multimedia stuff (making vids), what are the minimum requirements for a good laptop?

I know I want a laptop between 14' and 15'6. It needs at least 4 GB of ram or more. Hard Drive space needs at least 500 GB or more.

The price should be under $1000

What speed GHz of the processor is good enough?

(Just curious, does laptop brand matter?)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:49 AM

Here you go:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834314820

I got this for my son, and it's great. Although he hasn't loaded all his programs, he had this same model from 5 years ago and it ran games, his ProTools (pro audio editing, recording software), Photoshop CS8, Coreldraw X5 and Dreamweaver smooth as silk, and it wasn't as fast as this one (unfortunately it got stolen). The only thing to remember is to uninstall all the foistware and trialware off of it, and there is a ton of it. I also removed all the "helpful" Acer garbage that came with it, and I do mean ALL of it. If it says Acer, remove it. Then Windows 8.1 can take over and run the computer properly. Then I used Regseeker to remove all registry entries as well. After that it flew.

Right now it's on sale, I saw this same model on Amazon for hundreds more (as of 2 weeks ago, anyway). You can also choose from upgraded models on Newegg, this was the most economical for our budget.

[EDIT]: I just noticed that you wanted "multimedia stuff (making vids)"; bear in mind that if you are going to be creating and rendering video, the CPU is going to be doing the heavy lifting. Playing a video falls on the video card, but rendering is done by the CPU. If you will be doing this regularly you may want a unit with at least 16gig RAM and the biggest, baddest CPU you can get. Just a thought. However, you aren't going to get it below $1000.

Edited by ranchhand_, 23 June 2015 - 11:59 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users