Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need an effective way to optimize my new computer.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bradrchillips

bradrchillips

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:57 AM

Just bought a new Lenovo computer, I want to find a good solution to speed up PC. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:11 AM

Hi bradrchillips,

Not sure if this is in the correct room - a moderator may move it to somewhere more suitable.

Firstly, if it's an out-of-the-box factory configuration, you'll want to uninstall all the junk that came with it.  By that I mean the free trials and so on - they can really clutter the system up big time.

Secondly, get all the Windows updates (I presume it's Windows, you don'y specify your OS) or all the updates for the OS you are running.  There *will* be some.  That's won't speed it up, but it will make you more secure and bring it up-to-date.

Thirdly, run Ccleaner to get rid of all the junk temporary files.  It probably won't have many, but worth doing anyway.

Fourthly, (only do this if you do *NOT* have an SSD) - defrag the drive.  This will align all the system files as well as other files for faster loading, and may result in a speed improvement.

On no account should you ever download and install anything that calls itself a "PC Optimiser" or similar (with the sole exception of Ccleaner) - these usually do more harm than good and goad you into purchasing a product you don't need to fix problems you don't have.

Consider what anti-virus you wish to use.  There's probably a trial version of one on your PC (typically McAfee or Symantec).  Decide whether you want to run with that or remove it and download another.  There are good free solutions out there.

Worth having a look here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44694/slow-computer/

but if the machine is new, malware is unlikely to be the problem but still worth a read at least.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users