Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer restarts itself intermittently and showing a BSOD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JayKinobi

JayKinobi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:10 PM

Hello,

Recently my laptop has been resetting itself when not in use. The laptop is fine while im using it, however when im away from it for a length of time ill come back to it and its restarted itself. Managed to spot it in action and the BSOD shows a KERNEL DATA INPAGE ERROR.

I have done the steps asked of me and ran the sysnative program and got a performance report (will attach to this post)

If theres anything else you need please feel free to ask.

· OS - Windows 8.1
· x64
· Windows 8 i beleive
· OS is an OEM version (came pre-installed on system)
· Age of system (hardware) - 4 years
· Age of OS installation - 4 years - had to do a refresh 3 months ago.

· CPU - i7-3630QM
· Video Card - AMD Radeon HD 7670M

· System Manufacturer - Toshiba
· Exact model number - Sattelite L850

· Laptop or Desktop - Laptop

Thanks

Jay

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:20 AM

4 years.  Wow, have I ever lost track of time!  Really didn't think 8.1 or even 8.0 has been around for as long as 4 years. Um, I may be growing old but, 4 years??  Windows 8 will be 3 years old October 26th, 2015; was released 26/10/2012.  4 years old??

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

Explanation:

This Stop message indicates that the requested page of kernel data from the paging file could not be read into memory. This Stop message is usually caused by a bad block (sector) in a paging file, a virus, a disk controller error, or failing RAM. In rare cases, it is caused when nonpaged pool resources run out. It is also caused by defective hardware.

User Action:

If the I/O status is C0000185 and the paging file is on a SCSI disk, the disk cabling and SCSI termination should be checked for problems. Check your computer for viruses, using any up-to-date, commercial virus scanning software that examines the Master Boot Record of the hard disk. An I/O status code of 0xC000009C or 0xC000016A normally indicates the data cannot be read from the disk due to a bad block (sector). If you can restart the system after the error, Autochk runs automatically and attempts to map out the bad sector. If Autochk does not scan the hard disk for errors, manually launch the disk scanner. Run Chkdsk /f /r on the system partition. Restart the system before the disk scan begins. If you cannot start the system due to the error, use the Recovery Console and run Chkdsk /r. Caution: If your system partition is formatted with the FAT file system, the long file names used by Windows 2000 can be damaged if Scandisk or another MS-DOSbased hard disk tool is used to verify the integrity of your hard disk from an MS-DOS prompt. (An MS-DOS prompt is typically derived from an MS-DOS startup disk or from starting MS-DOS on a multiboot system.) Always use the Windows 2000 version of Chkdsk on Windows 2000 disks. Another common cause of this Stop message is failing RAM. Run hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer, especially the memory scanner. For details on these procedures, see the owners manual for your computer. Check that all network adapters in the computer are properly seated. Use an ink eraser or an electrical contact treatment, available at electronics supply stores, to ensure network adapter contacts are clean. Check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device causing the error. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve it. Finally, if all the above steps fail to resolve the error, take the system motherboard to a repair facility for diagnostic testing. A crack, a scratched trace, or a defective component on the motherboard can also cause this error. For more troubleshooting information about this Stop message, refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/support.

Source: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854944.aspx

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 19 June 2015 - 12:21 AM.

#3 JayKinobi

JayKinobi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:43 AM

Oh wow only 3 years, this must have had windows 7 on prior to upgrading. i have trouble remembering what i did last week :P

Thanks for the reply, but im afraid i have no idea what your talking about lol, im a bit of a noob when it comes to repairing problems with a computer.

Is there any way you can dumb it down?

#4 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:23 AM

Jay,

Well, I can say it in fewer words that MS did.

Cause: can be a virus,, bad RAM (memory sticks) or a couple other things.

Initially this is what to do:

Scan w/ Malwarebytes
Scan w/ Windows Defender (assuming that is the Security being used)

In Command Prompt scan & check the hard drive:
Go to (>) cmd, Run as admin

Type, sfc /scannow   Hit ENTER

and, the other...

Type CHKDSK /f /r  Hit ENTER

If nothing changes/improves, next would be to try some new RAM sticks; but, 1st things 1st.  Let us know how it goes...

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 19 June 2015 - 01:25 AM.

#5 JayKinobi

JayKinobi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:10 AM

I have been really bad with things like virus scanners, the laptop came with Norton but ive never done anything with it, always asks to be updated and what not but never did it. Is it best to just uninstall this and used windows defender as antivirus software.

Currently running the malwarebytes program, will advise when ive finished the steps. 3 threats detected in my downloads folder. 2 PUP.Optional.OpenCandy files and a PUP.Optional.OptimumInstaller.A

Edited by JayKinobi, 19 June 2015 - 02:26 AM.

#6 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:41 AM

I have been really bad with things like virus scanners, the laptop came with Norton but ive never done anything with it, always asks to be updated and what not but never did it. Is it best to just uninstall this and used windows defender as antivirus software.

Currently running the malwarebytes program, will advise when ive finished the steps. 3 threats detected in my downloads folder. 2 PUP.Optional.OpenCandy files and a PUP.Optional.OptimumInstaller.A

Jay,

Absolutely & especially if there has been any negligence w/ Norton.  Just remove it & use WD. 

Yes, well, I was quite certain Malwarebytes would find things.

Install & run CCleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com) daily.  Tip: UNcheck the Jumplist item

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users