Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New custom computer not turning on

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mike15911

mike15911

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:20 PM

Hello, I just got the rest of the parts I need to finish this build. And after connecting everything (hopefully) it won't turn on.
There are no noises, no lights, nothing.

Here is what I have:

Mobo: MSI 970
CPU: AMD 8320
GPU: MSI 960
RAM: 2 4GB gskill
PSU: Corsair CX600
HDD: 1TB

Keep in mind that I am brand new at this..

The PSU does have a ton of cables, but I can only find places for 3 of them, the 8 pin and 24 pin. And for the GPU, I have tried turning it on with only the CPU and RAM attached, I have tried turning it on with just the CPU attached. I tested the CPU by putting a hairpin in it and turning it on (It turns on but it's really quiet) I can't think of what else to try...

Any ideas?

Edited by mike15911, 18 June 2015 - 09:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:42 PM

I would double check that you have the power button connected to the motherboard right. It can be really easy to have those flipped around wrong.
If that is connected correctly then possible it is a dead PSU. If you have a spare maybe try hooking that up and tyring it.

Edited by DeimosChaos, 18 June 2015 - 09:42 PM.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 mike15911

mike15911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:47 PM

I would double check that you have the power button connected to the motherboard right. It can be really easy to have those flipped around wrong.
If that is connected correctly then possible it is a dead PSU. If you have a spare maybe try hooking that up and tyring it.

I know the PSU isn't dead since I tried it with a hairpin, but I connected the 8 pin that was labeled "CPU" into the slot nearest to the CPU, and then I connected the 24 pin in the only place it would go.. Should I take it into a shop?

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:10 PM

All up to you. I wouldn't spend the money on it. I would just start RMAing parts and getting new ones. You could have a dead motherboard, or again the PSU could still be defective.

But again, if you didn't check on the case power switch being hooked up to the motherboard right I would check it. These things could always be someting simple and you don't want to overlook it. Just go over every connection and make sure everything is connected properly then try again.

#5 mike15911

mike15911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:12 PM

All up to you. I wouldn't spend the money on it. I would just start RMAing parts and getting new ones. You could have a dead motherboard, or again the PSU could still be defective.

But again, if you didn't check on the case power switch being hooked up to the motherboard right I would check it. These things could always be someting simple and you don't want to overlook it. Just go over every connection and make sure everything is connected properly then try again.

what exactly do you mean the case power switch?

#6 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:16 PM

So your case has a power button on it. Make sure it is wired to the motherboard correctly. If you are pressing it and nothing is happening it could be wired incorrectly. It should be a two pin connection and should be labled "pwr" or something like that.

#7 mike15911

mike15911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:27 PM

So your case has a power button on it. Make sure it is wired to the motherboard correctly. If you are pressing it and nothing is happening it could be wired incorrectly. It should be a two pin connection and should be labled "pwr" or something like that.

Oh gotcha, I'm going to re wire them later tonight, someone else said that the guide sometimes shows it upside down, so I might have installed them backwards.

#8 mike15911

mike15911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:08 AM

I've tried so many ways to re wire them, and it's still not working

#9 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:24 AM

There's oft an On/Off switch on the P/S itself, also.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 19 June 2015 - 12:25 AM.

#10 mike15911

mike15911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:27 AM

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

I know, and I am making sure that it's on

#11 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:10 AM

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

Mike,

I reckoned you likely had... didn't mean to insult or anything.  Some don't have it so we sometimes don't think to look that it's in the right position.

1st thing to do would be put a P/S tester on it.  Either borrow one or (in an ideal world) have an IT friend or take it to a small independent shop.  Try to avoid Best Buy type places.

If it is wired together correctly then, may be a defective part.. P/S or M/B.  And a shop should have a loose power switch, try it, instead... the switch itself may be broken, not making contact properly.  Hard to see from here so kinda throwing out guesses.  Test the P/S then, go from there. 

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

#12 mike15911

mike15911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:22 AM

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

Mike,

I reckoned you likely had... didn't mean to insult or anything.  Some don't have it so we sometimes don't think to look that it's in the right position.

1st thing to do would be put a P/S tester on it.  Either borrow one or (in an ideal world) have an IT friend or take it to a small independent shop.  Try to avoid Best Buy type places.

If it is wired together correctly then, may be a defective part.. P/S or M/B.  And a shop should have a loose power switch, try it, instead... the switch itself may be broken, not making contact properly.  Hard to see from here so kinda throwing out guesses.  Test the P/S then, go from there. 

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

You didn't insult me, no worries about that! I'm just a little frustrated this isn't working. So here is an update..

I took the motherboard out of the case and set it on the original box on top of a wood table, then I only had the CPU connected, and I connected both power cables to the board, and it still didn't turn on. I then checked the CPU with the hairpin again, and it is still working. So does that mean the motherboard isn't working? Now that I think about it, I did accidentally set it on top of the static bag it came in, so it might have messed with it then. I am new at this, and didn't know I couldn't put it on top, so don't laugh

#13 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:31 AM

This vantage point puts one @ a bit of a disadvantage but, I, still, think it might be defective hardware.  I would take the components back where you bought them & have the fellows there check things.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

Edited by Drew1903, 19 June 2015 - 01:31 AM.

#14 mike15911

mike15911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:33 AM

This vantage point puts one @ a bit of a disadvantage but, I, still, think it might be defective hardware.  I would take the components back where you bought them & have the fellows there check things.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

I bought it online from Amazon, so something might have happened during the shipment, I emailed a local computer store (No big brand store like Best Buy) asking if I could bring it in tomorrow to get it looked at

#15 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:05 AM

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

I bought it online from Amazon, so something might have happened during the shipment, I emailed a local computer store (No big brand store like Best Buy) asking if I could bring it in tomorrow to get it looked at

Good stuff!  Well, about the shop, anyway. GL w/ that.

Cheers,
Drew
th3_zpsfvtqya9n.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users