Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows ME updates

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 misnace

misnace

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:13 AM

I have never performed any updates on my Windows ME programs. My computer is running so slow it's ridiculous. There are so many programs running in the background when my computer starts ...and I don't know how to fix it. Someone told me to update Windows. When I try to do this it says that the update is already running and it will not allow me to. HELP? I have tried using the End-It-All program so that I can get scandisk to run and then defragment....but when once I run it then Windows won't do anything! SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:16 AM

There is a very good article on running ME that has a section (9) on managing your start up applications as well as a lot of links to various resources:

http://www.burzurq.com/forum/trevtweak.html

Secondly, you should consider running scandisk and defragging in "Safe Mode" which you can get to by tapping the F8 key whilst booting your computer. This kills all but one or two necessary programs within Windows so that both will run without interference.

I am not clear whether or not you have kept up-to-date with Windows updates, and therefore already have them installed, or you have not, and there is a problem with the automatic update correctly recognising what you have and have not installed. If you have already installed updates, there is no point in installing them a second time.

I would suggest you check out the link I provided, run scandisk and defrag in safe mode, and the reply if these do not help, or if you have additional questions, add to this post. Sluggish computers generally are bloated with too many programs running in the background, and fragmented hard drives, rather than MS updates, which tend to be important security patches.

Best regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 30 November 2004 - 10:16 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users