Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EFI booting from USB

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow Wizard

Shadow Wizard

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:45 PM

Thought this belonged here, if not, feel free to relocate it.

I bought one of those cheapo tablets for $100 runnign windwos 8.1 for $100 or so.  After playing around with it for some time, I managed to get into the bios, hook up a keyboard, and a USB stick, etc.  Now I am looking to boot a disk, Hireons 13.0 to be exact.  So I made a USB stick, and I can't get it to boot (No way to turn off UEFI boot, no way to go to legacy) So this is beyond my scope of knowledge.  Thus, I come here.  Here are the bios screens I can access.  On screen 3, if I have a USB stick inserted, it appears in the boot override list, however thus far all I have been able to do is get to screen to flash black, and then return to the bios.  I have tried copying bootmgfw.efi to the USB in the approprate directory and entering the EFI shell, and telling it to boot the EFI file, but I am told X64 is not supported...  (Sorry, editor wont' let me turn off bold after a paste)

Attached File  IMG_0046.JPG   100.38KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0047.JPG   84.95KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0048.JPG   73.97KB   0 downloads

Tx in advance for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dandu3

dandu3

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:34 AM

You need to use a 32 bit UEFI, which is not the easiest thing to find.

I found that memtest86+ runs on these, anything else you'd need a UEFI bootloader, like the ones used on Hackintoshes, I got I believe Clover bootloader to run on my tablet.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,919 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:13 PM

I don't see anything about Secure Boot in UEFI. If you are trying to boot an iso of Hirens then see if using Rufus will create a bootable USB. If MBR partition scheme does not work select GPT. For Hirens you may need to select FAT32 as a file system instead of NTFS.

What are you trying to achive with Hirens. You may be able to do the same thing with a linux distro which should boot. You could also create a bootable USB on another computer with Windows 7 or 8 using Aoemi PE builder. It will let you add your own programs (portable) but they would need to be 64bit capable if the OS you are building from is 64bit.

#4 Shadow Wizard

Shadow Wizard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:32 PM

I don't see anything about Secure Boot in UEFI. If you are trying to boot an iso of Hirens then see if using Rufus will create a bootable USB. If MBR partition scheme does not work select GPT. For Hirens you may need to select FAT32 as a file system instead of NTFS.

What are you trying to achive with Hirens. You may be able to do the same thing with a linux distro which should boot. You could also create a bootable USB on another computer with Windows 7 or 8 using Aoemi PE builder. It will let you add your own programs (portable) but they would need to be 64bit capable if the OS you are building from is 64bit.

I made one from Rufus.  I chose GPT, FAT32, create bootabe disk using ISO, Hireons 13.0.  And it didn't even create an EFI directory!

I am trying to run Acronis True Image Home.  I want to make a backp of the entire disk structure so I can safely play around more.  Install Linux, Windows 7, etc etc and be able to bring it back to factory if I ever want to.

You need to use a 32 bit UEFI, which is not the easiest thing to find.

I found that memtest86+ runs on these, anything else you'd need a UEFI bootloader, like the ones used on Hackintoshes, I got I believe Clover bootloader to run on my tablet.

Clover Bootloader?  Can you give a bit more detail.  I understand the old BIOS systems quite well, but haven't worked with UEFI at all except to enable legacy mode.. Not an option on this tablet that I can see.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,919 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:37 AM

Use Aoemi Backupper or Macrium Free to create a disk image. The bootable USB flash drives they create are UEFI capable. You would need to create the PE version. Not the linux version that is also included.

If the Aoemi or Macrium USB do not boot then it's possible the tablet does not allow booting from an external device.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 June 2015 - 09:32 AM.

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:42 PM

Two things you will ned to do, if not done already:

Disable secureboot, this however might not be possible on a tablet, some of them won't let you, if this is the case you are going to have a lot of problems. This is done from somewhere within the UEFI settings menu, exactly where varies with device manufacturer.

Change the boot order to have USB at the top, by default the topspot will be occupied by the internal memory where the device's OS is stored, you need to switch this round so that the device will look to the USB first for an OS to boot. Also done from within the UEFI settings menu.

Edited by rp88, 20 June 2015 - 12:42 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 dandu3

dandu3

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 10:54 AM

Try booting 32bit memtest86+ from USB and see if that works

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users