Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen of Death after windows update

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Akwio

Akwio

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:33 PM

Hello!

I'll start from the beginning.

Last night when i was shutting down my computer, it installed a windows update.

I wake up the next morning and when boot up my computer it is a black screen however i can see my cursor. I noticed that my explorer.exe was not in the task manager process list so i launch it doing file -> new task -> explorer.exe but it just crashed afterwards

What i can do:
-Alt+Ctrl+Del
-Open up task manager

I have tried:
-Running Malwarebytes and SUPERantispyware to remove malware and it did detect malware but nothing happened
-Going into my Registry and deleting iexplorer under Image File Execution Options (explorer.exe was not present)
-Doing Sfc /SCANNOW
-Making sure explorer.exe is the only thing in the shell
-Using Shellexview (something like that)
-Safe mode several times

When i press f8 when booting
-I cannot do a system restore because there are no restore points
-Nothing is wrong with the memory
-The repair option is useless

What i cannot do
-Use a disc since i dont have a disc drive 
-I cannot use a windows 7 ISO to use the repair option
-When installing windows 7 for usb, the installer doesnt show up

I have a 3 month old computer

I am trying to avoid losing all my data but worst case scenario i might have to. Please help

Edited by Akwio, 18 June 2015 - 08:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:11 AM

Black screen issues are difficult to solve.  You can spend weeks trying to fix them, only to find that nothing works.

At work we finally gave up on trying to fix them.  Now we attempt a System Restore point - and if that doesn't work we'll wipe the hard drive and reinstall Windows.

You've got several choices here:

- try to work on it

- backup your data (either by running a bootable disk, or by slaving your hard drive to another computer).

- wiping the OS and starting over.

IMO, the easiest thing here would be to backup your data and then wipe and reinstall Windows

I'd suggest that you obtain recovery media from the PC Manufacturer.

Most manufacturer's will provide compatible USB media for systems that came without a DVD drive.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Paul Freed

Paul Freed

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 03:59 PM

We've seen this issue on four computers today. They all occurred after Windows updates. Various things fixed them: letting Startup Repair run, then removing power followed by powering it back up (Startup Repair reported it was unable to fix the issue, but then the machine started normally after the power down). One machine would boot into Safe mode but not normally; fixed it by running Tweaking.com All-In-One repair in safe mode and a check disk. The two other cleared after power down and restart. Still trying to find the common denominator in the updates...

#4 TechTorpedo

TechTorpedo

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:20 PM

Easiest thing would be to buy a second hand hard drive off ebay, install windows on that, and boot the pc up with your other drive as slave,

copy the data to the newly purchase hard drive

wipe your old hard drive clean and install 2 partitions, one for the OS the other for data

install windows an then swap the drives around so your ebay one is slave, and copy the data over to your new partition.

wipe the drive clean and then re-sell it back on ebay.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users