Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Aspire Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Norseman143

Norseman143

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:23 PM

I bought a new PC a couple of weeks ago, and it came with No windows recovery disc.

For twelve years I had a Windows XP home addition and over the years, I had to either use the discs to  recover a driver, or had to rewrite the whole thing, If I remember, maybe twice.

I went to google and believe it or not I found a Youtube video of a guy unpacking the same PC as I have. And I noticed He didnt get a disc either

Is this common now where manufacturers dont send recovery disc?

It also didnt come with any windows or Acer literature , all I got was a half page directions on where to plug things into

So what are we supposed to do if something goes wrong and we need a backup?

I looked on the Acer web site and didnt see anything mentioned about it.

Does anyone know why they dont send recovery discs?

Never mind I found the soulution

Acer doesnt give backup discs, its all saved in a hidden file

Edited by Norseman143, 19 June 2015 - 05:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:07 AM

Glad that you found it.

Thanks for letting us know!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,982 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 06:26 AM

Hi,

Never mind I found the soulution

Acer doesnt give backup discs, its all saved in a hidden file

Yes it's true but you should create a Image Backup to an External drive just in case the hidden partition goes bad or the Hard Drive.

Macrium Reflect Free is a good program to create the full backup image.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:28 PM

Hi sleepyDude

Yes thats a very good idea, but I thought I would wait another month until Windows 10 is released, and then save everything.

Question

I thought Windows had some kind of built in Boot drive saver built in,,or am I mistaken?

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,982 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:40 PM

Hi sleepyDude

Yes thats a very good idea, but I thought I would wait another month until Windows 10 is released, and then save everything.

Make sure you create the backup before installing Windows 10 because after the upgrade the Recovery mechanism to restore Windows 8.1 can be affected and stop working.

Until the release of the final Windows 10 we probably will not have a definitive answer about this possible problem.

Question

I thought Windows had some kind of built in Boot drive saver built in,,or am I mistaken?

Sorry I'm not sure about what you are referring. Windows have some auto repair mechanisms but they are not bulletproof.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:02 PM

Back in the ole days when XP was prevalent, I remember helpers telling them to burn a boot disc.

I will download that program that you mentioned

This PC has a burner on it, so I will burn a disc, I went to the site and it said it works for burning

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,982 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:09 PM

Yes make sure you create a Rescue Disk also using the program.

___
Rui

#8 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:12 PM

Well, that was a nightmare

Apparently my CD-R discs werent big enough. I fed 6 700MB dics in there and it hardly budged it

Progress 11% over an hour and 11 minutes left

I ran out of CD-R discs.It didnt even come close to finishing,when I ran out :(

#9 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:22 PM

You should have used a 16GB USB flashdrive. Those are cheap these days and will be 10x faster than discs. And if you chose to use a disc. you should have used a DVD-R not a CD-R. 1 DVD is about 4GB compared to 0.8GB on one CD.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,982 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:52 AM

You should have used a 16GB USB flashdrive. Those are cheap these days and will be 10x faster than discs. And if you chose to use a disc. you should have used a DVD-R not a CD-R. 1 DVD is about 4GB compared to 0.8GB on one CD.

A full image backup most likely will need more than 16GB, it's faster and safer to use an External Hard Disk drive.

___
Rui

#11 Norseman143

Norseman143
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 300 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 04:59 PM

I dont have an external drive,The burner that came with it seems to work fine

The next time I go to the store, I will either get a stick or a better disc for the purpose

I got a popup from Acer offering to backup my systems and files

I will probably stick with reflect, being that I have it installed already.

Seems to work pretty good .

#12 Marisawriter

Marisawriter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2015 - 12:51 PM

I wish I'd read this a few weeks ago, as I'm having terrible trouble with my Acer Aspire now and I don't have a Restore point or Recovery disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users