Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Symptoms Of A Well Maintained System

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:29 PM

first of all, great post by graveangel (thank you post). I also am new to the forums and am thankful to all the contributors. Hopefully one day, I can pass the knowledge I've learned on to someone else and help them make their system more secure.

Now on to my question. We all know the symptoms of having a virus, spyware, or malware. But what are the symptoms of a well protected and well maintained computer, if any? Is it just that you have no freezes, quick surfing of the internet, quick shutdown, quick start, etc?

thanks in advance for your input. (I apologize for posting here, I didn't know which subforum to post this, hope it's ok)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:19 AM

Usually I think of a well-maintained system as having quick startup and shutdown time. There's also, of course, no spyware/pop-ups/viruses of course. One of the biggest things is that the computer must be working up to it's fullest potential, and not wasting any resources.

Edited by .Prodigy., 08 July 2006 - 01:04 PM.

Posted Image

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:36 AM

Now on to my question. We all know the symptoms of having a virus, spyware, or malware. But what are the symptoms of a well protected and well maintained computer, if any? Is it just that you have no freezes, quick surfing of the internet, quick shutdown, quick start, etc?

It's when you don't notice anything that things are going well, very much like yourself. We have a tendency to not notice the usual things in life, it's when things go awry that we notice them.

Just keep up with the periodic maintenance, defrag, delete cookies, run scans for all the critters trying to slow you down, and keep every thing updated and you should be fine.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2006 - 12:20 PM

I have to echo the above comments. A malware-free and well-maintained computer will have no symptoms save that of operating well without crashing.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:57 PM

Yes. We can't really notice a "fast" system unless we've experience a slow one.

Also one may still experience a BSOD or a slow startup without having spyware or viruses/trojans.

Example: My computer setup doesn't handle Google Desktop very well. One day I installed it, and upon installatino I got a BSOD. Never got one before since I wiped my hard drive. It only happened upon installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users