Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Just Installed Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Mate...

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:48 PM

...just for fun, I was playing around with Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon but I had messed up a few things so I deleted that whole OS and replaced it with Linux Mint 17.2 Mate. I am enjoying it, and I am setting it up to my tastes right now. A fun day at the Bennett household.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:39 PM

Seems like point releases are becoming quite popular with distros now-adays.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:49 PM

Yeah, and I had nothing to lose. I had messed up my last distro, I deleted some stuff, and I could not figure out how to restore it. So now I am playing with my new distro.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 10:30 PM

I just installed the Upgrade to !7.2 using this guide--http://mintguide.org/system/448-early-update-linux-mint-17-1-rebecca-to-linux-mint-17-2-rafaela.html .All went well and am now reading what the differences are- NOTE:I did not have to update the kernel ,at least that option was not available after the update! I did have to reboot twice though,once by using the Sudo reboot command. Then i had to physically reboot the machine- not sure why,but all is well!

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:11 PM

When does the stable release come out? I read the blog post for the RC, but didn't see anything about when the final release is, just that it will be a long term support release.

#6 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:22 PM

When does the stable release come out? I read the blog post for the RC, but didn't see anything about when the final release is, just that it will be a long term support release.

I'm not sure- Linux Mint.org says by the end of the month- but so far i have not noticed anything unstable so far - will be sure to post if I do- support will be thru 2019!

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 12:36 AM

...just for fun, I was playing around with Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon but I had messed up a few things so I deleted that whole OS and replaced it with Linux Mint 17.2 Mate. I am enjoying it, and I am setting it up to my tastes right now. A fun day at the Bennett household.

I forget where you are with Linux Unix at this point, but if you damage your system you really need to utilize this "System Restore" like program called Timeshift.  I use it religiously, it is easy and if I can do it you surely can, it's a life saver.  Not only that but it is fast, at least after the first backup.  Enjoy, best program ever!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/562190/how-to-restore-your-ubuntu-linux-system-to-its-previous-state/page-3#entry3593479

http://www.teejeetech.in/p/timeshift.html

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:30 AM

Just installed Timeshift- thanks for the tip!

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 19 June 2015 - 01:57 AM

Your welcome! no worries about mucking about anymore, just click click and your back to a working OS.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:12 AM

Thanks for the link to Timeshift. I will definately look into that. Where am I with Linux? I am still taking my Baby steps, I am at the beginning exploratory phase. My relationship with my computer is one of a kid and his toy, so Linux is just another mode to play in. I don't really use my computer as a tool very often, but when I do I still have certain steps to learn with Linux. I think that the perfect metaphor would be that I am on an adventure, and Linux gives me new avenues to explore. I need to learn my way around Linux and that is how I messed up my last distro, just exploring. But I appreciate everybody's guidance here.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 10:55 AM

This new build is working fine except that I lost a program. I "installed" Google Earth through the software manager but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Also, I downloaded all of the elements of KDE 17.1 and I am working at customizing my Linux experience. Lots of fun.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 12:56 AM

This new build is working fine except that I lost a program. I "installed" Google Earth through the software manager but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Also, I downloaded all of the elements of KDE 17.1 and I am working at customizing my Linux experience. Lots of fun.

Rocky, you could really use Timeshift at this stage, it will save you a lot of time when you break things.  Remember, IME, the first Backup you do will take a while, but after the first it only takes maybe 15min.  It saves a snapshot onto your Home Folder/Partition and let's your quickly revert just like System Restore but faster!

"installled" google earth? that is over my head.  When you open the Menu, just start typing googleearth and see if the program comes up.  I see it in the SM, you might have to run it from the Terminal after install.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GoogleEarth

You could also try to go to /usr/share/doc/googleearth-package/readme.debian  for instructions.  After you install this file will exist, if it is not installed, you won't see this file.

Curious, what "elements" of KDE did you download?  From what I have read, you don't want to install Mate, then try and use another Desktop, it's okay but can cause problems.  I would just install KDE.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:13 AM

Well there you go. I'm not even one week into this set-up and I am already messing it up. I downloaded the KDE elements through the software manager, as well as Google Earth. I got a lot of KDE programs in my main menu now but I don't see Google Earth anywhere. I will try the Timeshift backup when I get a chance, but I am learning new things with this Linux adventure and I am having fun. Thanks all.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,684 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 11:38 AM

You could try starting Google Earth from the terminal.

The Google Earth I have starts with:
google-earth

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 03:04 PM

Thanks, I will try that.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png