Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I using EFI?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mickapoo

mickapoo

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:20 PM

I have a laptop running Windows 8. How do I know if my laptop uses EFI to boot up? Also, sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there a way to tell from my log in screen if I have a local account or a Microsoft/windows account?

Thank you.

Edited by mickapoo, 18 June 2015 - 02:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:34 PM

There is an easy way to check if you have a BIOS or UEFI based system, although the chances you have UEFI are almost certian if the machne is a modern one which came with windows 8 preinstalled. If you use the run command ("windows key"+"r") and then type in "msinfo32" and hit enter this opens up a little program which gives you system information. Under the information listings brought up by msinfo32 you will find details of your BIOS or UEFI and of other hardware and system settings. You will be able to see whether you have UEFI or BIOS, and also whether you have certain options within the BIOS or UEFI enabled or disabled. If you are concerned about secureboot then msinfo32 lets you see if it is active or not. This msinfo32 utility can also be very helpful when you want to know the exact types of components because it will tell you things like the type of harddrive you have, and the sort of processor you are using. if in future you ever want more detailed system information there are betetr tools ( speccy )for it that you can download, but they don't usually tell you what type of BIOS or UEFI you have, though they will tell you more about your hard-drive, procesor and other readings about your hardware. For your current need of just checking if you have BIOS or UEFi and what version then msinfo32 is perfect for the task.

On the totally different subject of telling whether you have a local account or an ms account, look in the pc settings app, this will have some settings greyed out with a red text note saying something like ""upgrade" to a microsoft account to get the connected features listed below" if you have a local account and will have the settings for "cloud based" stuff available to fiddle with if you have an ms account. In my personal view there is not much to be gained by having an ms account and users are better with a local account, the extra things an ms account lets you do are only of relevance to users who wish to setup weird kinds of syncing between multiple microsoft devices or who make extremely extensive use of the app store rather than using normal programs.

Also one other thing, is you computer windows 8 or windows 8.1? You can tell this by seeing if it has a "start button" in the bottom right corner or not, windows 8 won't have a start button, windows 8.1 has a form of "start button", however this is quite different to the traditional start button found on windows xp and 7.

Edited by rp88, 18 June 2015 - 03:38 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 mickapoo

mickapoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:46 PM

Also one other thing, is you computer windows 8 or windows 8.1? You can tell this by seeing if it has a "start button" in the bottom right corner or not, windows 8 won't have a start button, windows 8.1 has a form of "start button", however this is quite different to the traditional start button found on windows xp and 7.

I'm not sure, it has the restart/shut down button in the bottom right.

I'm stuck on the log in screen, and if I hit Windows + r nothing happens. Is there anyway to find out about the UEFI and secure boot settings through the Advanced Options menu?

Thank you for your help.

Edited by mickapoo, 18 June 2015 - 04:59 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:09 PM

Pretty much all Windows 8 computers have EFI/UEFI.  Right Click Computer > Manage. Open Disk Managment. You should see a EFI system partition listed and formatted FAT32.

#5 mickapoo

mickapoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:36 PM

Pretty much all Windows 8 computers have EFI/UEFI.  Right Click Computer > Manage. Open Disk Managment. You should see a EFI system partition listed and formatted FAT32.

What am I to right-click? I am on the log in screen, Windows 8.

I did get somewhere by using Shift + restart. Under "Advanced Settings" it says, "UEFI settings" as an option, so I guess that means that UEFI Is enabled? Where do I find out about if secure boot is enabled/disabled?

Edited by mickapoo, 18 June 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:04 PM

You have UEFI firmware and therefore a EFI system partition. Don't change any of the Advanced Settings.

If you are booting Windows 8 then I would say you are booting with Secure Boot enabled if you have not changed your UEFI settings. You need to tap a key at boot in order to access UEFI. Some computers can let you do it from within Windows. The key you tap depends on the make of your computer.

#7 mickapoo

mickapoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:19 PM

I selected UEFI settings, and then the restart button that appeared on the screen. I don't see any information on whether secure boot is enabled or disabled. I need to disable secure boot but I don't see how to.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,207 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 06:34 PM

What is the make and model of the computer?

#9 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,980 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:13 PM

mickapoo, am I right in thinking then that you are unable to log on? The msinfo32 trick won't work if you can't get yourself logged on, although once you are logged on it should be able to give you the information even if you are in a non-admin account.

"Shift + restart. Under "Advanced Settings" it says, "UEFI settings" as an option"
This is another way to see whether you have BIOS or UEFI, you can use this to see the current settings and the exact type of BIOS or UEFI that you have. You can go through here to disable secureboot, but you only need to do that if you are trying to run a linux live or installed OS or an older windows operating system on the device. These settings, accessed like this, are how you can change UEFI settings, or BIOS settings in the unlikely event your hardware uses BIOS, but you shouldn't do this unless you have a need to. Usually you will only need to do anything with any of these settings if you are trying to boot an alternative OS, either live or to dual boot with. How these settings are arranged will vary on different types of computer, the BIOS/UEFI interface will be determined by which manufacturer your device is from, there will be similar options on all makes of devices, but they will be in different places.

I think it might be best if you explained what you are trying to do and what is going wrong?

Do you have any idea of why you are unable to log in?
Would you like help in fixing whatever your problems with login might be?
What is your reason for wanting to know what type OF UEFI or BIOS you have (do you want to install another OS alongside windows 8/8.1)?
What is your reason for wanting to know if your account is local or a microsoft account, do you particularly want one or the other account type(if I were you I would go for local)?
What is your reason for wanting to disable secure boot (secure boot doesn't do much for security, very few types of malware actually get stopped by it, the main thing secure boot does is interfere when a user wants to boot another OS, I'm guessing you want to disable it so you can run linux or an older windows version)?

Also just for your information, secure boot and UEFI are not the same thing, secure boot is a feature (or you might wish to call it a complication) built into UEFI, but UEFI works the same with it turned on or off. The two should not be used interchangably as they are not the same thing, UEFI won't stop you booting an alternative OS (if that is what you want to do) but secure boot will unless yout turn it off. Windows 8/8.1 will boot whether secure boot is enabled or disabled, other operating systems need it disabled for them to boot. Windows 8/8.1 will generally NOT boot if you try to use legacy BIOS mode, some other (generaly older) operating systems will ONLY boot in legacy BIOS mode.

If you are not planning to boot an alternative OS (that is any OS other than the one your computer came with) then you need not worry about UEFI/BIOS settings. If you are planning to boot another OS then you need to go slowly and carefully, making sure to make all manner of backups (file backups, system image backups, password reset disc, windows recovery media, manufactuers recovery media...) first.

This forum can help whatever you want to accomplish, but you ought to say what you want to do, then it becomes clearer to see exactly what must be done to achieve it.

Hope this helps.

Edited by rp88, 20 June 2015 - 12:13 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users