Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't sleep or reboot

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 robsan19

robsan19

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:18 PM

New here with a problem that I have been unable to solve. I have a Dell XPS 8700 running Windows 8.1. I don't know exactly when this problem started, but essentially this is what is going on. I used to have the computer go to sleep after 30 minutes, and for the longest time everything worked like clockwork. Then I would notice at times the computer would not wake up, and to get it on I had to hold the power button down until the computer shut down, the push it again to restart.

As I delved into this issue, I discovered other things going on. If a software update, whether Windows update or any application, required a reboot, the computer would go through the process, the screen would go black when Windows shut down, but the computer never reboots. Power light stayed lit, and once again I would have to hold power button down, until computer would shut down, then re-press power button to boot the computer. I also notice that when the computer was supposed to "sleep", it never would go into sleep mode, power button stayed brightly lit, instead of turning amber in color. Any ideas? BTW, I ran Speccy64, and here is its results, http://speccy.piriform.com/results/y57ypaGWUSlRdYUFrtBsrvf.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:06 AM

For starters:
- update BIOS/UEFI

- update all Dell drivers

- ensure that you have ALL available Windows Updates

Then check Power Options in Control Panel to ensure that the system is set to sleep/hibernate/wakeup according to your desires.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 robsan19

robsan19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 07:16 PM

BIOS is the latest version, and all drivers are updated. Currently power options are set to never go to sleep, because of the issue I reported.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:22 AM

Often this sort of problem is a BSOD issue - even if you're not seeing BSOD's

As such, please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Also, Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 robsan19

robsan19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:37 PM

Was able to run the BSOD APP and create the SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip file. However, when I ran perfmon /report, I kept getting the following error, An error occured while attempting to generate the report.

The operator or administrator has refused the request.

When I ran Event Viewer and tried to create the Admin.evtx file I got the error that the file can't be found.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:13 PM

Please upload the SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip file.

If we need the other reports, we'll work on generating them later on.

Most times the error with the EventViewer just requires answering OK and then things will proceed normally from there.

#7 robsan19

robsan19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:56 PM

Here is the file you requested

Attached Files

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 06:09 AM

Wireless card is disabled.  Is this deliberate?  If so, why?

To what extent have you used CCleaner and JV16 PowerTools?

Repeated use of the registry cleaners can damage the system.

It's possible that there are conflicts between McAfee and the Trusteer Endpoint Protection

Please uninstall one to see if it helps.

Quite a few Live Kernel Events in the WER section of MSINFO32.  This is Windows' way of saying it doesn't know why it shut down.
I suspect that they are linked to the failure of the system to sleep and your forcing a shutdown (info on Live Kernel Events here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504 )

Beyond that, I'd expect an infection or a corruption with Windows.

As you installed MalwareBytes recently, I'd think that you'd have known of an infection.

So, here's my suggestions:

- DISM/SFC.EXE /SCANNOW

- System Restore

- Refresh

Here's the instructions for DISM/SFC:

Then please run the following DISM commands to see if there's any problems with the system (from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt).  Press Enter after each one:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

FYI - I have repaired systems using the last command even though problems weren't found with the first 2 - so I suggest running them all.

From this article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

You can also run sfc.exe /scannow from an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt to check for further corruption.

#9 robsan19

robsan19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 11:38 AM

Wireless card is disabled because I use a USB Dual Band adapter, get better signal from the dual band.

CCleaner and JV16 are used occasionally.

Uninstalled Trusteer.

Ran each DISM command "Scanhealth" and "Checkhealth", no problem reported; however, when "RestoreHealth" was run, it reported the component store corruption was repaired?

Then ran SFC /Scannow and it reported corrupt files but was unable to fix them. Details in CBS.log.

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.log   6.12MB   0 downloads

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:34 AM

Please try the following to attempt to fix the SFC corruptions  (copied from here:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/4736-windows-update-forum-posting-instructions.html ):

Run SFCFix

This free tool of neimiro's creation (see above link) is a very good starting point for the diagnosis and repair of all Windows Update and System File Checker corruptions. We therefore need you to run this tool.

-  First download and run a copy of the tool from http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe.
        -  Work through any on-screen prompts and then await completion (runtime is approximately 15 minutes).
        -  Once it has finished, if there are any unrepaired corruptions (the tool will notify you if it has succeeded in repairing all corruptions if they're simple in which case we're no longer needed) or unresolved problems with your computer, you need to post us the complete logfile which opens on exit. Simply copy (Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C) and paste (Ctrl-V) the entire logfile into your new thread (also know as a 'topic'). How to create a new thread is shown later on in this post.

Edited by usasma, 24 June 2015 - 04:35 AM.

#11 robsan19

robsan19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 05:43 PM

The problem has been solved! Turns out there was a Qualcomm Bluetooth driver that had been installed that was unnecessary. Uninstalled it and everything works fine now.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2015 - 05:39 AM

That's good news!

Thanks for letting us know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users