Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LOOKING FOR A FIREWALL

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Blarp

Blarp

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:05 PM

Mod Edit: Moved from Xp to Firewall Software and Hardware ~~ boopme

note:  profile page download picture,  does not have a download button.  just seems to sit there with no download option available.

----------
hi,  sorry if this is a small question,  but running into a problem trying to troubleshoot.

i have a windows xp system pro, P4 3Ghz, 2Gb

i have a seriously bad taste toward commercial firewalls for if they are trying to protect us or not.
trying to find out what the best protection is for just having a standard firewall that won't be getting changed on me all the time with:  do you want to buy this all over the place.

Question is:  what kind of free firewall  (will take suggestions on for pay firewalls,  that do not spam sales, run down my resources, etc.).
i will be:  reinstalling pc  (win xp pro & win 2010),  adding a router shortly  (if any suggestions in that area;  yes - change the settings).

what using

firefox
ms firewall  - what else?

mbam - anti malware,  malwarebytes
mbae - anti exploit
mbar - anti root kit,  non resident

spybot resident - teatimer
sbsd - spybot search destroy,  non resident
swb - spyware blaster

i use a number of small utilities:
processgovernor.exe
processlasso.exe
processtamer.exe
xneat.exe

adblock plus for firefox

Edited by boopme, 18 June 2015 - 01:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Blarp

Blarp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:09 PM

ps:  i had avast.  just looking for a no frills,  protect my pc 100% thing.   if there is some basic fire wall recommendation it will be appreciated.  only thing can say is what saw as straight forward are items from malwarebytes.  not looking for avast / norton type prodcuts.  thanks.  running into a bit of an urgency.  thanks.

(have to say,  if they can turn your firewall off..   want to say some other words, but will stick with it being opposite of a firewall / or a hack in itself.)

i have not checked for a firewall in awhile.  would think malwarebytes might cover that as well.

not exactly trusting ms firewall.  ms having a rude habit of changing settings on a pc.

PROBLEM:  do they turn your firewall off after eg:  1yr

Edited by Blarp, 18 June 2015 - 02:03 PM.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:52 PM

Hi Blarp :)

Just for my sake, I would like to sum up the programs you are currently using:
  • Mozilla Firefox with Adblock Plus;
  • Windows Firewall;
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware;
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit;
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit;
  • Spybot Search & Destroy;
  • Spyware Blaster;
Instead of going for a firewall only, I suggest you to get an Internet Security suite program, since it'll have both an Antivirus and a Firewall (which you lack). Free Antivirus aren't enough on Windows XP anymore, since the OS is outdated and vulnerable. And since the Windows Firewall in Windows XP isn't as good as the one in Windows Vista and up, it's worth having a third-party one as well, so why not take the one from an Internet Security suite package?

Survive the XPocalypse: 10 Tips to Keep Running It Safely - A free Antivirus isn't enough anymore on Windows XP, you need a paid one, a complete solution;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 AM

Posted 22 June 2015 - 05:53 PM

I always use Windows built-in firewall.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 Blarp

Blarp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:14 PM

hi,  (thanks for the replies),  yes to all of above apps.  i have tech  background in a few areas but not much in security - hacking rap..  

i did a small study for the parameters listed?  unquote:  free,  more intrested in not seeing commercialized garbage,  especially for firewall turning my stuff off after 1 year.. 

i huge problem i see with apps are the listing of firewalls, addresses AND do you trust them...  geez,  cannot tell what ip addresses are good or bad.  seems addresses etc need to be resolved so a user can make a better decision.  (troubleshooter / product review spec.),  pick any tab & guesse if you were off the street.. can you tell wth they are talking about / showing you.  i made a suggestion long time ago to have a page that shows do the reverse of the hackers,  things you can do to track them down where i had listed a couple of web pages.  they were ver batum on what you could do..  year later saw no upgrade on putting that to use by software - steps etc.  been a year since i checked that so don't know if i am going to have to track that kind of thing down myself.  gettting back..

with the couple of hours spent just looking up firewalls..  (will check your suggestion internet suite,  still need non commercial version:  i have my problems to not be able address forever the commercial stuff going on, so if non-commercial exists for an internet suite..?  was what was trying to save time here for).

i am trying:  PRIVATEFIREWALL 7.0

would suggest a grid of a study,  just like comparing apps (would include columns:  free  |  non-com  *mercialized bs (won't:  turn you off, change your settings on you, etc)

the short study i had then, is:  (just suggesting you have something like this posted as a running updated item)

is there a way to upload a text doc?

one site search for free firewall & their ranking.  

will need to verify not turned off after 1 year, but just this search shows 3 potentials which might not have been identified as such without a specific search.
always wonder what layering methods can i use to protect my pc, eg: is there a way to multi-layer a firewall ?

FIREWALL SEARCH:  MAYBE WON'T TURN YOU OFF AFTER 1YR:
RANK:     MB:    name:                    website:                            DL LINK:

#2  commercialized?  comodo (trick: file no access, extra means to delete)    https://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/firewall.php
            (cannot cut paste file to secure location)
#3        peer block (trick: no actual dl link)    http://www.peerblock.com/releases
#6    31MB    private firewall            

private firewall it is, at this time (might be #3 or #2 in free firewalls)

COMMERCIALIZED (real points of sale), OR MIGHT TURN YOU OFF AFTER 1 YR:

#1  zone alarm
x  avast  (on a search: no free firewall from avast)

ahh,  reply at very bottom..  used quote..

#6 Blarp

Blarp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:18 PM

windows built in firewall.  cannot say i trust it..  as maybe stated xp not secure..   have been seeing things getting turned off on my pc (guarantee you most of by ms),  they change my settings after doing an update anyways.  eg:  excel,  things getting turned off that have to make them read only,  aspects being made unavailable for excel (because no longer supported?  is a strech,  falls more in the hack & file - corruption catagory ?),  have proof..  sorry - thanks.  using ms firewall & getting walked all over.

#7 Blarp

Blarp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2015 - 01:22 PM

p.s.  if were to have a BASIC grid on firewall comparisons,  would include the items normally skipped over, eg resources used,  col:  MEM*    *approx ram used to run

these values can vary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users