Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

downloads go into wrong folder

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sandy j

sandy j

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:58 PM

my os is vista home premium 64 bit..my problem is a few years ago, i set up an excel folder and everything was fine with that, but recently i noticed i now have 2 download folders, one within the excel folder and the other is the standard windows download folder.  after i noticed i had 2 download folders, i saw when i download an item it goes into the excel\download folder and when i check the microsoft download folder the file is in c:\users\.....\excel documents\downloads.  i seems every download i do duplicates and goes into both folders.  finally, i think, when i start a download and i change the address from 'excel documents\downloads' to 'downloads', it changes back to excel documents before the download finishes.  

if it's determined all downloads are in fact in both places,  can i delete the excel documents\download folder?  if so, will i be breaking the path, if so, is there a way to correct the path for all items at the same time....or what to do?

thanks

(copied from an item in the excel folder       C:\Users\.....\EXCEL DOCUMENTS\Downloads)

(copied from the same item in the download folder C:\Users\.....\EXCEL DOCUMENTS\Downloads)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:05 PM

Hi sandy j :)

Does all your downloads (from every web browsers) goes in that Downloads folder?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:59 PM

Hi Sandy,

It seems like your downloads are going to a single location.

These items you listed are the same folder.

(excel folder       C:\Users\.....\EXCEL DOCUMENTS\Downloads)

(download folder C:\Users\.....\EXCEL DOCUMENTS\Downloads)

First I would go to your personal folder, right click on the downloads folder, click properties > location and click 'restore default' and Apply.

(it should then show C:\users\<username>\downloads)  IE uses this, but for Chrome and FF you have to go into the browser settings and check the default download location.  Change that as well if you are using something other than IE9

Download something safe and see where it goes...Has it gone to 'c:\users\<username>\downloads'  or 'c:\users\<username>\Excel documents\downloads'?

Verify that your downloads folder is in the correct location, and that you indeed have 2 download folders, and then you can safely delete the 'Excel documents\downloads' folder.

Please let me know if you're still showing the same result and exactly whats happening when you download.

Mark 

Edited by MarkMCS, 19 June 2015 - 09:35 AM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#4 sandy j

sandy j
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 02:13 PM

following instructions provided by markmcs, i was able to get the files into the correct folder, and did a download to verify future downloads go into download folder...

thanks for all your help  :thumbup2:  

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:27 PM

Well glad to see that your issue has been solved sandy :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 05:42 AM

You're very welcome Sandy.

Take care.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users