Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Sound Levels - Totally Stumped!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 connor7555

connor7555

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:49 PM

I have recently changed from an Imperial GL Motherboard to an ASUS P4GV-LA Motherboard due to bad capacitors. I am running Windows XP and I have the Realtek AC97 Audio Drivers. When I had the old motherboard my Front Panel Audio Connector (Orange label with picture of speaker) was providing me full sound. Since I have changed boards, I still hear the sound but only if I turn the volume up to the max. I have checked all the settings and I have done the automatic driver updates. I have checked that onboard sound is enabled on the bios. The only difference I can see is that the new board has a ten pin section to hook up to instead of before when I had the three pin with snap in. Does this new board require something additional?

Does it mean that I have the correct driver if I am hearing sound - even if it is low?

What steps can I take to return to full sound?

Note: I have no sound card installed before or currently.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 06:48 AM

It sounds like your audio is set up correctly.

Are your speakers powered?

It's entirely possible that your new Asus mobo simply has a lower audio output than your old motherboard. I have an old mobo (Super Socket 7) with an onboard sound chip that puts out much more power than my newer mobos. It will actually drive a pair of unpowered speakers. None of the new ones will.

#3 connor7555

connor7555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:34 PM

I think that you are correct.

With the old motherboard, I could hook the unpowered speakers into the orange jack and get full sound -or- I could connect powered speakers into the light green jack and get full sound.

Now, if I plug the powered speakers into the green jack I get full sound but the orange with unpowered speakers gives me only very low sound.

Thanks for your help.

#4 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:28 AM

Glad you got it sorted. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users