Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AltGr switched to Alt

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tymex

Tymex

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:18 AM

Hi. I don't know if it is becouse windows update, but i cannot write polish letters using my right alt. It works as if it was left alt. How can I change keyboard mapping to bring back my AltGr key?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pascal92

Pascal92

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:11 AM

Hello,

The same for me !!! Yesterday windows update and now AltGr key ko!!! In virtual keyboard too!!!!! Any solution ? Thx.

I can press "Ctrl+Alt" instead of "alt gr" for @ but I want my Alt Gr key :clapping:

windows 8.1, pc samsung

Edited by Pascal92, 18 June 2015 - 11:19 AM.

#3 obcd

obcd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:30 AM

On 15 june 2015 An update installed Synaptics pointing device driver. That update breaks the Alt Gr functionallity. I went to configuration screen , software & program's (or something like that) and deinstalled that new Synaptics pointing device driver from the list of installed programs. It gave a warning that an additional startup program was installed and requested for a reboot. The synaptic touchpad still seems to work after the deinstall. The computer was also a samsung laptop with windows 8.1 installed.

#4 Gazdad

Gazdad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2015 - 04:56 PM

Hi !

I created an account only for this topic. I've got exactly the same issue for few days now and I can't get it fixed. I have also a WIndows 8.1 samsung laptop.

I didn't installed anything on it for a while so it's not coming from me.

Indeed, I saw that a "Synaptics pointing device" software has been installed and I removed it. I even ran a CCleaner against my laptop after the uninstallation, but even after restarting the AltGr key is still acting as a Alt key.

Here is what I also tried (but didn't solved anything):

- I tried the usual stuff: changing language, region, keyboard layouts etc.

- I tried to look at keyboard mapping configuration, but there's no way I should do such ugly configuration (hardcoded is evil)

- Uninstalled the keyboard driver (DO NO DO THIS on a laptop, because the keyboard is embeded in the BIOS driver, and thanks to SAMSH!T the driver can not be found easily on the official website)

- So I reinstalled the BIOS driver with this OFFICIAL utility (http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/FM/201203/20120306155317061/BIOSUpdate.exe)

- The behavior was still the same so I plugged an external keyboard .... and the behaviour was the same: I had to type Ctrl+AltGr+0 to get my @ (I have a french keyboard)

What I also observed is that sticky keys (5 times in a row typing the Lshift), filtering keys etc. do not work.

Same for shortcuts "WindowsKey"+E, "WindowsKey"+R, "WindowsKey"+X; the menus still pop up but now the Metro interface is also displayed.

What a shame !! I don't know if it's coming from Windows (99% of chance it is), but that's lame seriously.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users