Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I uninstall Avast Antivirus Free 2015 properly?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bingsa

bingsa

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:37 AM

I've read in the pinned topic "List of Antivirus Uninstallers and Removal Tools > Antivirus removal tools"  at the top of this section about antivirus removal and It says to always use add/remove to uninstall programs from the computer. But when I go to the Avast site it says that the preferred method of uninstalling is to use their uninstall utillity. I'd like to say that I'm not having any issues with Avast nor am I unhappy with the product. I'm uninstalling because I want to try the free trials of Kaspersky and BitDefender and make a decision after that.

I've read a few times across multiple forums of people having problems uninstalling Avast so before I start I would like some feedback on which process I should go through to have the best chance of uninstalling without problems. I'm using Vista if this info is needed. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 03:16 AM

Hi there,

The Avast uninstall utility (AvastClear) is only to be used if the uninstallation of Avast products go wrong and left behind remnants on the system.

I do suggest that you uninstall it the normal way using Programs and Features - preferably in Safe Mode since the service will not be running and less likely to leave behind trash. If it refuses to uninstall in Safe Mode (programs that depended on the Windows MSI service to uninstall will not work), do a clean boot and uninstall Avast from there. After that run AvastClear.

Hope this answers your questions.

Regards,
Alex

#3 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:19 AM

it is best to do a clean booth after uninstalling the program. this ensures that there is no trace if the file corrupt virus on the system. Use the uninstall programs in the control panel . 

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 05:48 AM

From the vendor....Avast 2015: Uninstallation methods
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 bingsa

bingsa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 20 June 2015 - 01:00 AM

I uninstalled Avast and installed Kaspersky without problems so if you want to lock this thread you can.

quietman7, going to the Avast site was one of the first things I did. That's where the confusion came in because they recommended using their utility over Add/Remove. I was probably being pedantic but I wanted to make sure anyway. I used Add/Remove which worked fine.

Thanks for the help everyone.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:18 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users