Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

is wajam an infection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dadfer

dadfer

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:27 AM

Hi

recently i found Wajam on my computer ( i think it must have been in a bundle ). By using Control panel/programs etc I uninstalled it. A couple of days later a small window appeared very briefly - just time enough to note the name but not do anything about it. On checking Control panel/programs i found Wajam was back plus a couple of others   ( Safer browser etc ). Once again I uninstalled but a couple of days later the same thing happened. This has now happened several times.

Wajam claims to be a search engine of sorts with ETrust certificates but I haven't found a means preventing this reinstallation nor do I know why it is happening.  Has anyone else experienced this and can offer a solution?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phild0tcom

phild0tcom

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 18 June 2015 - 12:37 AM

Definite malware.

Run scans/remove with ADWCleaner and Malwarebytes.

Edited by phild0tcom, 18 June 2015 - 12:38 AM.

#3 dadfer

dadfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:03 AM

thanks for the prompt reply - even after uninstalling and can't find any trace of wajam ?

#4 phild0tcom

phild0tcom

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:11 AM

ADWCleaner didn't pick anything up?

#5 dadfer

dadfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:46 AM

ran them both - ADWcleaner cleared out some junk including two references to wajam and Malwarebytes cleaned out some more junk so hopefully the problem is solved --

thank you again for your help

#6 phild0tcom

phild0tcom

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 02:16 AM

Sweet, yeah that normally comes packaged with other software, seen it piggyback in on stuff from CNET a few times.

Be careful when installing software, clicking next > next > next isn't the best option without reading the details of what you're pressing next for, sometimes it will give you 'offers' for other software, and unless you decline or sometimes cancel, it will infect your machine.

Regards,

Phil

#7 dadfer

dadfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:12 AM

got to keep your wits about you in this game  --  not my strong point

#8 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:31 AM

Well... some software (especially the ones with OpenCandy bundled) will not give you the option to opt out. A notable example is DaemonTools.

As Phil said, the first line of defense against these PUPs (Potentially Unwanted Programs - they are not called malware per se, although they certainly act like those) is common sense. Don't just click "Next" without reading, always choose Custom Installation and uncheck what you don't want.

For second line of defense you can use Unchecky - these will automatically uncheck unwanted software when you install something. Be noted that Unchecky will not work if the installer does not allow opt out, or you did not choose Custom Install so Unchecky can do its job.

Third and final line of defense is an antimalware software - the top two in the market right now are Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. These will prevent the installation of unwanted programs as well as clean them off the machine.

If you are interested, see my post here on how to use the Hosts file to block OpenCandy, which is one of the most common PUPs seen nowadays.

Regards,
Alex

#9 dadfer

dadfer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 09:37 AM

Hi Alex

thank you for your extremely interesting and informative reply - you have revealed the shallowness of my knowledge -hopefully I can use your suggestions effectively.

dadfer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users