Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mapped drives via GPO will not appear on user side!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tclay88

Tclay88

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:24 PM

Need some help pretty please. Our old domain controller bit the dust recently and our users have been operating on a non-existent domain for a bit. I configured our new domain controller and was getting folks migrated over to it and just mapping the network drives manually on their machines. When it came time to force them to map with Group Policy, I have read endless tutorials step by step and even deleted my old group policies, as not to foul up any new attempts. I am utterly lost on this matter and have been trying for a solid week, in between petty user problems. Please Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:33 PM

Ok so just to double check, you created the GPO where the users are in the OU?

I also check to make sure you created a user policy and not a computer policy.

GPO should be

User Config\Preferances\Windows Settings\Drive Maps, create/edit the current policy and make sure its set to Create and not Update, create will remove and re-add the network drive each time they login.

Then make sure you target a user group (Create a users Group if not already called H Drive and add users to it) on the Common tab (Common\Item-Level targeting.) and point to the group you have the users added to.

this should work mate and ifit doesnt then run the command rsop.msc and see what the error says (Right click user Config, check the error tab to see why it failed.).

#3 Tclay88

Tclay88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:35 PM

Thanks for the reply JohnnyJammer, my GPO is configured to users and not computers, and I added the GPO to the entire domain so that it would be trickled down to every group. I feel like I may have misconfigured my user groups. I built in an organizational unit first and then transferred the users into a group from there. Can this be causing any issues? I have not heard of the command line you informed me about but will try that tomorrow. As far as the item level targeting I will go back and reset that to be true, because in the midst of trying new things I took ILT off and used GPO to target which group it was going to. When I run the rsop.msc, I do that on the server side and it will have tabs available? I am new to this and trying to learn all that I can, thanks again for the help.

Edited by Tclay88, 17 June 2015 - 06:36 PM.

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:55 PM

Yep run the comamnd rsop.msc from the client computer.

Its always best to structure the OU groups and seperate computers and users which in the logn run makes creating GPO's for each object (User / Computer) easier to target.

i also create a Groups OU so that any group i use for drive maps/ wsus / software etc is all based in oen group.

See how that goes mate, make sure to run the comamnd gpupdate /force before launching rsop.msc.

#5 Tclay88

Tclay88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 08:01 PM

Awesome! Thanks J. I will update tomorrow.

#6 Tclay88

Tclay88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:20 AM

JohnnyJammer, thank you for all of your help in this matter. The rsop.msc command was instrumental in helping me figure this out. I forgot to mention in the beginning that I was mapping to another machine that we had all of our backup information on, on which the users of the domain did not have credentials. When I ran the rsop on a profile that was unable to map the drives, it told me it didn't have the right password. We then added said user to the backup machine and it worked flawlessly! Thanks again so much for your patience!

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 11:29 PM

No worries mate.

Any other questions just ask mate.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users