Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about RAM types and performance

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 adrianrff

adrianrff

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:47 PM

Hi.

I recently got this PC and I'm having some performance issues while running some games and somewhat heavy softwares like Autocad 2015 or Inventor 2015 while doing other things like browsing, so I'm thinking of adding more ram to it

The PC comes with a 4GB module and has one more slot available. I'd like to hang on to that 4GB module and add another 8 GB single stick (had this one in mind). I have a few simple question about this.

Can I install this 8 GB module and have it work alongside the 4GB that's already installed? What do I miss by not having paired ram and having modules from different manufacturers and different capacities?

Is this module compatible with the motherboard? According to the PC specs and the installed ram, this one should work, but I'm no expert so I rather ask first.

If you have a better idea, please do share!

Thanks in advance.

Edited by adrianrff, 17 June 2015 - 02:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:57 PM

Your system has the Memphis-S mainboard See here: http://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c03885123

Apparently, it uses Win 8.1. I notice your configuration hampers the board by using only one module. If 32 bit, you're sunk. 4 Gigs is the maximum. Best you can do is fit 2 x 2 gig modules which will effect a performance increase, but maybe not worth the trouble. The alternative is 64 bit, which supports 16 gigs.

It supports dual channel RAM. Dual channel is designed for 2 sticks. bearing the above in mind, you should use a similar speed and latency module to the existing when you add one. Coming from hp, I guess it won't be performance grade.

Alternatively, you can purchase a 2 module kit.

Having said that, even with 8 gigs, Windows will gradually slow down over time. Keeping tight maintenance helps, but ultimately, that's how it works.

Edited by Mike.Tech, 17 June 2015 - 03:59 PM.

#3 adrianrff

adrianrff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:11 PM

Your system has the Memphis-S mainboard See here: http://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c03885123

Apparently, it uses Win 8.1. I notice your configuration hampers the board by using only one module. If 32 bit, you're sunk. 4 Gigs is the maximum. Best you can do is fit 2 x 2 gig modules which will effect a performance increase, but maybe not worth the trouble. The alternative is 64 bit, which supports 16 gigs.

It supports dual channel RAM. Dual channel is designed for 2 sticks. bearing the above in mind, you should use a similar speed and latency module to the existing when you add one. Coming from hp, I guess it won't be performance grade.

Alternatively, you can purchase a 2 module kit.

Having said that, even with 8 gigs, Windows will gradually slow down over time. Keeping tight maintenance helps, but ultimately, that's how it works.

Thanks, Mike.

The OS is 64 bit, so does that mean I can add the 8GB stick I linked to to the existing 4GB without issues and have 12 GB effectively? What do you mean by it won't be performance grade? As I said, I would rather hang on to the existing 4 GB module. Both are DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800), so same speed, but I'm not sure what latency is.

One last question, I've read some great things about SSDs, I'm thinking of getting one as well for the OS and some of the heaviest softwares I have installed. What are your thoughts on that? is it worth the 50$ for 120 GB (performance wise)?

Edited by adrianrff, 17 June 2015 - 04:19 PM.

#4 Mike.Tech

Mike.Tech

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:24 PM

Using a module that is different timing to the original could mean a performance drop. There's also the issue of RAM compatability with the board. YMMV. Also, it seems, your effective RAM will be 8 gigs. so equivalent to 2 x 4 gigs in dual channel. Not sure on that one.

2 matched modules is preferable.

Latency is how 'responsive' the RAM is. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1922024/ram-latency-clock-speed.html

Performance RAM is quicker, so costs more. I've found tightening the RAM timings to be more effective than over-clocking.

#5 adrianrff

adrianrff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:24 PM

Using a module that is different timing to the original could mean a performance drop. There's also the issue of RAM compatability with the board. YMMV. Also, it seems, your effective RAM will be 8 gigs. so equivalent to 2 x 4 gigs in dual channel. Not sure on that one.

2 matched modules is preferable.

Latency is how 'responsive' the RAM is. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1922024/ram-latency-clock-speed.html

Performance RAM is quicker, so costs more. I've found tightening the RAM timings to be more effective than over-clocking.

Ok, thanks for the info. I have a better picture of what latency is now.

According to CPU-Z, the latency of the 4GB module installed is 11 cycles, whereas the latency of the 8 GB module I had in mind is 9 cycles. That's too much of a difference, right? Also, the frequency CPU-Z shows is ~800Mhz, is that because it's not always running at full speed or is it just a slow module? It's still not quite clear to me what would be the best thing to do. I know that a matched pair is best, but I'd like to find a solution that allows me to take advantage of the existing 4GB module. You say that using a module that is different timing to the original could mean a performance drop and that the effective RAM will be 8 GB, is that last part true regardless of the 2 modules being the same speed and latency? If I for example find an 8GB module with CL11, would I then have 12 GB of effective RAM? Sorry for asking so many questions, but I really want to be sure.

EDIT : I found this module. According to the Crucial site, which is partnered with HP to provide compatibility info, this memory is compatible with the MB of the 500-321. Clock speed (1600 Mhz) and latency (CL11) match in both modules, would I have 12 GB effectively with this setup (4GB + 8 GB)?

Memory.png

Edited by adrianrff, 17 June 2015 - 11:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users