Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless adapter problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kemperhills

kemperhills

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:41 PM

I have two computers in my office.  One is an HP Compaq dx7200 slim tower running W7 Pro, SP1, the other is and older Dell Dimension running XP Pro, SP3.

Within the last month both computers has started having wireless adapter problems.  The wireless adapter loses it connection with the ATT DSL router.  Going in the NetGear genie shows this.

Then to get back online the NetGear 3100 has to be uninstalled, reinstalled and SSID, security type and password has to all be reentered.

I haven't had this problem until lately so what could cause it.

There are other wireless connections that don't have this problem.  Only the two in my office at home.  My son has an Xbox connected wirelessly and has no problems.  Same with my wife who has a laptop[running W7], not my daughter who has a laptop and IPod that she streams on.  And my daughter's room is further from the router than my office so I don't think it is distance.

And the dropping is beginning to happen more frequently.  As this is quite irritating could anyone have an answer for this problem.  Thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:02 PM

It's possible it may be an interference problem. You can try changing the channel on the router and see if that helps.

It may be just a coincidence that both are having the problem and a driver update may help. On the XP computer right click the wireless adapter and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and post the first line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users