Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Log on password gone. 8.1

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 liz8200

liz8200

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:26 PM

This is windows 8.1 laptop.  It started after  I got some water on the keyboard.  I let it dry for 2 days, looked inside and saw no sign of any water.  Turned it on and seemed fine.  It booted to the windows logo.  I typed in the password and it says it is not the right password.  It is the right password. I can not find a way to get past this.  Please help.  Liz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:54 PM

Hi liz :)

Do you have a Microsoft account, or a local account? Also, since you dropped water on the keyboard, the strokes might be altered. Like your "a" could have become a "e". Are you able to enter plain text somewhere, type in your password and see if you really enter it correctly? Another option is to check your keyboard settings, and make sure it's well configured for your region and language (Canada French for me, United States English for some, etc.).

Edited by Aura., 17 June 2015 - 01:54 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 liz8200

liz8200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 03:28 PM

H,  Its the password you get when windows boots.  It pops up at the beginning.  I used to leave it blank.  I am blocked out of everything, cant tell if the keybord is right.  Password only shows *.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:24 PM

It used to be blank? So it's a local account. What's the name of the account? Your name, or your email address for Microsoft?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 06:01 PM

Deleted by me -

Edited by noknojon, 17 June 2015 - 10:31 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:10 PM

noknojon, what does a "wrong" phone number have to do with a Windows 8.1 password that doesn't work...? Wrong thread?

unite_blue.png

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:20 PM

@ Aura - Deleted by me since you can not relate to it -

Edited by noknojon, 17 June 2015 - 10:33 PM.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 09:25 PM

This thread is about passwords for online websites (and phone number in webforms), this thread is about a loss Windows 8.1 account (for login) password, hence why I think it's unrelated.

unite_blue.png

#9 liz8200

liz8200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:25 PM

It loos like my thread is mixed up with another one.  Nothing relates to me topic.  Can that be fixed/

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:33 PM

liz, if you don't enter any password and press on Enter, does it works?

unite_blue.png

#11 liz8200

liz8200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:53 PM

I see now that you have already fixed it.

I did try pressing enter,  nothing works.  I did look at the wireless connection with a key on the side of the page that asks for a password.

I'm not sure what you mean by name on the account.  liz8200 was the name of my profile, no Microsoft  account. Thanks

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,198 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:59 PM

My guess is really on the keyboard that is messed up and doesn't enter the right keys when you press on them. Are you able to boot in Safe Mode?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/#windows8

unite_blue.png

#13 liz8200

liz8200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:14 PM

What keys for safe mode on a dell?

I tried f8 and got into set up, and boot options,  I tried f5 for safe mode but it did not work. Would that be the right key's? Is there a disk that would work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users