Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to de-activate ALL nagware?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 outlet23

outlet23

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 01:16 PM

Hi, I know this isn't directly related to malware but I've had a lot of difficulty stopping Panda and Avira popups nagging me to upgrade.  I'm not against advertising, but I am constantly having to click off their popups several times a day which is super annoying.  I've tried denying permissions in avnotify.exe and ipmgui.exe (Avira), but they revert back somehow.  Is there a way to actually prevent all popups from happening in Windows 7? 

Thanks

Edited by Orange Blossom, 21 June 2015 - 06:37 AM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:31 PM

An offer of free anti-virus software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version. In some cases you may be able to disable annoying pop-ups through the anti-virus settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such a disable option listed, then your only alternative is to switch anti-virus software if the pop-ups annoy you that much.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:35 PM

If I may, it seems that you are running two Antivirus programs at the same time on a system (or they are at least installed): Panda and Avira. You should never have more than one Antivirus program installed on a system, since having more than one can cause system instability and conflict. I suggest you to read the article below by quietman (the poster just above me) and give a special attention to the "IMPORTANT NOTE" section at the end.

Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:47 PM

I just read that Panda Free is advertising supported so it appears you will not be able to disable the pop-ups.

#5 outlet23

outlet23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:09 PM

An offer of free anti-virus software is essentially a marketing technique...a way of advertising and enticement to get folks to try a product and if they like it, to purchase the full (or Pro) version which typically provides more features. Marketing and promotional strategies are built into the vendor's business model as part of their operating costs. Bottom line...it's all about generating revenue and finding new and creative ways to do so. As such, users may have to deal with occasional nagging pop-ups or nuisance advertising and prompts to upgrade to the paid version. In some cases you may be able to disable annoying pop-ups through the anti-virus settings if the vendor included an option to disable them. If the vendor does not have such a disable option listed, then your only alternative is to switch anti-virus software if the pop-ups annoy you that much.Ye

Yes I've tried to see if there is a disable feature in both companies but it appears there is not.  What I am wondering is if there is a program that blocks popups from appearing period...like it would stop anything from popping up in the toolbar.  I can't seem to find one....

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 03:31 PM

There is no tool available which can just be used to block the nagging pop-up ads from anti-virus programs. By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2015 - 04:08 PM

By using such free programs, you are essentially agreeing to the terms of the vendor's service which includes those ads.

And on this I want to add that a lot of users complains about a program once they use it, but then they all forget that they had to accept these Term of Service/Use when installing a program. People don't take the time to read time and then they complain when the software do something they don't like. If you don't like it and you want to remove it, it means that you don't in fact agree to the Terms and Conditions you accepted and therefore you shouldn't be using that software.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 05:42 AM

To be fair...sometimes the vendor's don't let you know how often the ads appear and how annoying they can be.

#9 outlet23

outlet23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:30 PM

To be fair...sometimes the vendor's don't let you know how often the ads appear and how annoying they can be.

Yes I agree.  The ads are definitely non-stop.  Like I said before I am fine with advertising, but there is a reason it is called nagware...3 or more popups a day and I start hating the software to the point where their marketing strategy is backfiring because there is no way I will upgrade if they want to bug me that much.  It's like how many people out there get a phone call from a telemarketer and say "Gee I am so glad that guy called...I think I will check my spam folder also and see what great deals I am missing!"  There comes a point where it's like "YES, I get it...I know Avira is out there...I didn't forget they existed between now and the time that last 3 popups annoyed me."  Too bad though because they are rated as some of the best antivirus programs out there.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:36 PM

Antivirus ratings aren't based on how an Antivirus advertise its product, but on how it performs. If this aspect was included in the ratings, it would be pretty pointless since a lot of products would be affected. The fact that an Antivirus "nags" you with pop-ups doesn't affect it's efficiency.

unite_blue.png

#11 outlet23

outlet23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:26 PM

Antivirus ratings aren't based on how an Antivirus advertise its product, but on how it performs. If this aspect was included in the ratings, it would be pretty pointless since a lot of products would be affected. The fact that an Antivirus "nags" you with pop-ups doesn't affect it's efficiency.

I meant it was highly rated in terms of it's efficacy.

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:36 PM

avast! Free Anti-virus isn't too annoying with their pop up ads.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:44 PM

The most annoying thing on avast! according to the users is the voice notifications (who would have thought of that eh?) and it can be easily disabled so :P

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-disable-avasts-annoying-sounds-and-popups-1530732542

unite_blue.png

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,600 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:50 PM

They really are not that annoying.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2015 - 02:54 PM

I know, thought a lot of users complains about it. It was less bad in 2014 since avast! released a "language pack" for their Antivirus program, which would change the voice to a pirate accent.

https://blog.avast.com/2014/09/19/avast-me-hearties-today-is-talk-like-a-pirate-day/

But I'm getting a bit off-topic here...

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users