Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Network Device in CP\View Network Computers, Dev.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lesterr

lesterr

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 11:57 AM

After starting my Windows 8.1 laptop, if I go to the Control Panel\Network and Internet\View Network Computers and Devices, a device is listed that is not on my network.  It is listed as either a Ralink wireless client Model # RT286U or a full_ariel Model KFARWI and if I right click on the device and view the properties the Model #, Name, and MAC Address are shown. I checked the Device Manager and it was not listed in the Device Manager. Also, my router did not show it as an attached device. I have Win 8.1 laptop, a Win 7 laptop, an iphone, android phone, ipad, WD NAS, and HP wireless printer connected to a Netgear AC wireless router with MAC address filtering enabled. When I log into the router I have never seen either device mentioned above listed on the router list of attached devices nor do any of the devices I have on my network have the MAC address listed for either device.  After a short period of time the device disappears. I have set up my network as a private network.  My concerns are: Are the devices a security issue and can they access my network?  How come my computer detects them? The devices do not list either a work group or a network location so am I correct in assuming the devices are not connecting through my router? Is there anything I can do to prevent it from being detected?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 AM

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:52 PM

Do you have a Kindle?  This (KFARWI) looks to be an Amazon Android device - of which the Kindle is the most common device (IMO).

Search Google for Amazon KFARWI

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 lesterr

lesterr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2015 - 07:12 PM

usasma:  Thanks for your reply.  No, I do not have a Kindle.  I also figured the device may be a Kindle, Amazon Fire tablet, or one of the other Amazon devices.  Unforturnately I do not have any of the Amazon devices.  I suspect perhaps one of my neighbors might but I have my router & computer in my basement so I hope there is good shielding from the neighbors.  What is puzzeling is the devices don't show up as attached to my router and also do not show am internet or workgroup connection.  I am surprised that they show up at all.  I have run several tests from GRC and also from the Technicians Toolbox and everything shows my computer and network to be secure.  Still I have this nagging doubt that I'm trying to resolve. I don't understand how the devices are being detected.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:37 AM

The device can show up if it's detected as a wireless connection.  I see this at work quite often where we have numerous different devices available to connect to.
This doesn't mean that it's connected to your device - rather that it's within range and that you can connect to it if you wish.

Try going as far away from your neighbor as you can and see if it's detected there.  If you have neighbors on both sides, go from one side of the house to the other in order to figure out where it's coming from.

You can see the same behavior if you take a wireless device out in public.  There'll be lot's of potential connections listed - you can even see this behavior on a phone or anything else that has wireless capability.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 lesterr

lesterr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:20 AM

Thanks again for your reply.  It makes me feel a little more secure.  What is still disturbing though is that my computer picks up the devices' MAC. Does that indicate that there is some communication (request - answer) between my computer and the unknown device? Or does the unknown device, and all wireless devices, just broadcast its MAC to the world?

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2015 - 04:18 PM

Depends upon the device and it's settings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Scroll down to the section on Spying (the rest of it is pretty deep stuff).

#7 lesterr

lesterr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:31 PM

I had checked out the Wikipedia site prior to my initial post.  I am trying to figure out if the device is making it through my Win 8.1 Firewall or my wireless adapter is just picking up its' transmission (my computer is acting like a radio receiver).  If the latter is the case then why do numerous networks (routers) in my area that show up when I click on the networks icon not show up as connected to my network also.  The fact that the MAC information (which I believe is OSI layer 2 information) is being received makes me wonder if the device could be using one of the tunnelling protocols to get through the firewall? I am running my Firewall with the default settings.  

Edited by lesterr, 19 June 2015 - 04:32 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2015 - 04:24 AM

Way, way above my paygrade (an old military saying that means I don't have any knowledge about this)!

I'd suggest posting over in the Networking forum for more expert assistance:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/21/networking/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users